• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trim paths of rectangular shape layer wiping radially instead of vertically.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a shape layer with a rectangle that I would like to "write on." I understand that I can achieve this result by adjusting the anchor point and scale, or probably several other ways, but I am curious why the trim paths effect reveals the rectangle in a circular wipe motion rather than a linear one. Adobe After Effects 2021 - Untitled Project.aep _ 2021-09-24 22-38-40_Trim.gif is an example. 

Is there a way to change the wipe motion?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, the title says vertically, but I want it to wipe horizonally, from left to right, or vice versa. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Trim Paths animator is not designed to work on a shape layer fill. It only works in an easily predictable way on a stroke. There are other ways to create a wipe on or reveal transition on a filled shape. For a simple rectangle, you can try animating the offset as well as the start and end parameters of trim paths, but it's a little tricky to create a simple transition.

An easier workflow would be to just animate the size of the rectangle and the position or Rectangle/Transform Rectangle/scale and anchor point and or position in the Transform Rectangle properties. 

Another way is to use Merge paths with two shapes and have one of them animated. 

Another option is to just put one shape on a shape layer and just use Linear Wipe. 

I hope this helps. I should do a tutorial series on animating shape layers. There is no really good overview out there. They can be pretty complex very quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines