• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with RAM storage and Rendering

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another problem I have scoured the internet for and not found a solution...I was editing with Premier Pro and After Effects on a Macbook Air and had a bunch of trouble with rendering (mostly with After Effects). I recently upgraded to a 2022 Macbook Pro with an M2 chip, 16 GB of RAM. At first, it was working like a dream and everything was going amazing. But then towards the end of my project, I started having trouble with the rendering and the notification about adjusting RAM in System Preferences>Memory & Performance. I went looking for it and couldn't find it because a 2022 Macbook Pro is different from how System Preferences used to be. Also, in my Activity Monitor, it says that my RAM storage is completely up to par, however After Effects is still not rendering properly whatsoever. I thought my problems would be solved with a new computer but apparently not...does someone know what to do or how to help, or honestly even just what's going on? Thank you so much as always to the support community, you guys are real ones for sure.

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Gahl the Editor

Welcome to the After Effects community, and thanks for the detailed write-up!
I'd start by purging the cache by going to Edit > Purge > All Memory & Disk Cache. 

Let us know if that helps.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you'll need to say what "not rendering right" is. This last year, updates have broken rendering 9 ways from blargsday. mp4 export was reintroduced after 7 years, only for the worldwide standard to be un-renderable on gpu's, to importing videos turning green, to exports corrupting source footage, to having gpu enabled just breaking all rendering altogether, to multi-frame rendering being unstable, to rendering 22% slower than CS6... you gotta give us symptoms. the program's on its last legs and falling apart, so please show us what broke so we can tell you if we've seen that happen before!

sadly, 16 gigs is definitely not par- it's bare minimum, any less and you cannot expect the program to run.
if you got a new computer (and good heavens a mac would be a mistake for something this inefficient) to use this program, I don't know what to say. you could spend about $4500 on a ryzen 7950x3d with a 4090, and 128gigs of ddr5 memory and still only come out with about 5x more continuous playback and that's it. 

AE was not made for multi-core machines, or GPU's, or tons of RAM. none of those were available, but they hacked in some slight compatibility over the years, like duplicating render processes for each cpu core instead of figuring out miltithreading. Expecting it to be able to handle the M1/M2, which is an entire system on a chip? that's half a decade away before these devs get to it.

but hey, uhhh you can give your keyframes colors and outlines now! isn't that neat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines