• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tutorial: Recreate the Nexus from Star Trek Generations

Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this viewer-request video, I take on the challenge of recreating the Nexus from the first Star Trek: The Next Generation ( TNG ) movie, Generations. While the original was a complex 3D simulation created by ILM, I used the built-in tools in AE to create something which I think comes pretty close.

This project gave me the chance to demonstrate different ways to use Shape Layers, the script 'Create Nulls from Paths' and how to use one path to control another. I also got the chance to share a little known 'hack' for separating the 3D layers to prevent them intersecting!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To think that they spent weeks to create that wobbling noodle back then... 😉 Since you're already using Nulls, perhaps you might want to add some actual lightning effects based on calculating the normals along the path as some part 2 advanced tutorial...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now don't give me ideas, I already have a backlog of tutorials as long as my arm.   Although now you've got me thinking...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is a very nice tutorial, @ShiveringCactus! 💓

Keep up the great work.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines