• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tutorial: Recreating Star Trek Phasers in After Effects

Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this tutorial, I show how to build a reusable phaser effect, based on those in Star Trek: The Next Generation. I've been rewatching TNG recently and it reminded me of the excellent behind-the-scenes video from FXGuide  where they looked in the remastering process for the series. At one point, they discuss how they used Flame to reproduce the look of the phasers. These effects were originally achieved in 1987 using Quantel Paintbox and so now, I thought it's past time to demonstrate how you can use After Effects to get the same look.

The challenge with After Effects in making a multi-layered effect is how to make it reusable, but thanks Essential Graphics, this problem disappears. So in this video, I start with creating a null packed with all the options by using Expression Controls (found in the Effects menu). Then I apply the Beam effect to create the beam, but I add Turbulent Noise to create a sense of plasma. Next I use some expressions to create some 3D controls before adding flares using the Circle effect. There's a lot of set up, but once done, you have a reusble, changeble phaser beam.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?