Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

UI laggy since I switched to 5k displays

Contributor ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was wondering - I replaced my apple thunderbolt displays on a late 2013 maxed out mac pro recently with two Dell 5k Displays.

Overall, those displays work perfectly fine, no lags or sluggishness throughout the whole system. But I'm under the impression that in after effects, everything has gotten much more slower. Just average stuff like navigating in the timeline.

Could it be related to the immense work the gpus have to do now? I'm not quite sure though If I'm imagining things, or if it really got much slower, or if it's just the project I'm currently working on.

Because As I understand, in the mac pro, one GPU is responsible for rendering the screen content, and another one is always dedicated for on screen graphics operations (I would assume that rendering the UI falls under that category, but maybe I'm wrong). In that case I would think that there's still a reasonable amount of performance left in the machine, but it feels realllllllly slow now in after effects, wich is a major setback.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off "Hardware accelerate Composition, Layer and Footage panels" in Preferences > Display make any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked, but no- not really. If anything it makes things worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ChiFilm,

I'm under the impression that in after effects, everything has gotten much more slower. Just average stuff like navigating in the timeline. Could it be related to the immense work the gpus have to do now? I'm not quite sure though If I'm imagining things, or if it really got much slower, or if it's just the project I'm currently working on.

Has the situation improved at all since you last checked in with us? If so, let us know what you did to make it better. If not, also do let us know along with filing a bug here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey,

no, the situation has not improved at all. In fact I just started a new thread because I just purchased a super powerful 10000$ Mac Pro to resolve this issue, only to find that it's still absolutely the same, thanks to the years old, convoluted and apparantly rotten core of Premiere and After Effects 😞 Please do something about this, it's seriously frustrating. I'm already beginning to consider switching to Final cut, only because of this..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines