Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade GPU for previews?

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I’m trying to increase my preview speeds as its taking so long. My pc struggles when I need try and preview clips with CC Force Motion Blur set high (shutter angle 400, Samples 15) also at 4k. 

Also I use Warp stabilizer with every clip too.

I did check task manager and I can see my GPU usage hitting 100% at times. Looks like a GPU bottle neck.

I currently have a 2070 Super 8GB so 2 generations old I was thinking of upgrading to a 4070 TI 12GB which is a pretty big jump about 137% speed boost

It is pretty pricey I was wondering if you think its worth it performance wise. If I will see a big improvement with previews with motion blur and maybe rendering too?

I heard AE with updates is getting better at utilizing the GPU so maybe a good investment in the future if they keep going down this path.

Other PC specs

RAM 128GB

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

SSD M.2 Drives

Thank you

TOPICS
Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It won't do anything. It's simply the temporal lookup/ multiframe sampling that takes forever. You are forcing AE to calculate 15 frames for every single frame. Most of that is purely CPU based, so be glad that AE even uses your GPU sufficienmtly for footage decoding, the Warpo Stabilizer and encoding. The rest is of no consequence. You won't see those magical 137 % performance gains you've calculated in your head and if you bump into compatibility or driver issues none of this will matter, anyway. It's just not how AE works.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok as in zero performance increase on Blur and warp effects? or we talking around 5 percent at least. I wouldn’t expect 137% but i thought a noticeable speed boost on GPU accelerated effects.

Is there any system part i could upgrade to increase ram previews, cpu?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, none of this has to do with hardware, regardless of what GPU, CPU or clockwise spinning Neutrons. The bottleneck is AE's temporal sampling. If you really want to throw out a lot of money, it would probably be more productive to spend it on an effect that can replace CC Force Motion Blur, but otherwise spending thousands of dollars for a 10 % gain makes no sense. And you've pretty much exhausted all options already with a juicy GPU and CPU, lots of RAM and whatnot. The problem really is AE being so terrible at doing some things.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

can you recommend any more efficient plugins to Blur or warp ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines