• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Well, This New Technique Changes a Lot of Things!

LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read this article from Ars Technica:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/02/the-mandalorian-was-shot-on-a-holodeck-esque-set-with-unreal-...

Remember, only ONE production company can do this so far.  But it won't be long before more outfits can do it.

Green Screens?  Don't need 'em!

Motion Tracking?  No huge use for it!

Color Grading?  Do it on the set!

Adobe Software?  No longer a must-have.

Experiment with the lighting?  Sure!

Want a totally different scene?  Wait a couple of minutes & we'll be ready.

TOPICS
How to , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Personally I don't see it replacing the "fix it in post" attitude of directors and studios, which ultimately is the whole reason some of us have to put up with all that nonsense of fixing botched shots. The only reason it likely works here is because Star Wars is run by control freaks and everything is designed from scratch, anyway. Makes little difference then if you create an interactive 3D set or do some post-render stuff, if you get my meaning. I can't see that same logic being applied to lots of other scenarios, though. If you're producing an average movie on a modest budget it would still be many times cheaper to just do a set extension with a greenscreen or similar...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines