• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where Should I Store the Cache and Conformed Media Cache on MacBook?

New Here ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have saved the cache and conformed media cache to my desktop, which is a dumb place to put them because there's not that much space. I'm brand new to Mac. What, and where, would be the ideal folder to store the caches and have the most GBs? And please be as obvious and detailed as you can cause I'm a complete newbie to the Mac system

btw I apparently have about 47GBs available

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put them anywhere. I have a separate folder under my User ID that I use for all disposable cash items. The other option is to just relaunch AE while mashing down on Shift + Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd and delete your preferences. The default location is just fine. You never do anything with the cache files other than delete them occasionally anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Usually it is suggested to put it on a separate drive. It is more than just "delete them occasionally"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to optimize AE's performance, it's ideal to set the Media Cache and Disk Cache to a fast secondary hard drive (a drive that ISN'T your boot drive). Maybe a small SSD, for example, connected via USB 3 or Thunderbolt. But otherwise, if you don't have an extra drive for it, you internal drive will work, as long as you purge it from time to time if you're low on space. As Rick said, it's easy enough to purge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines