• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WHY AFTER EFFECTS STILLS SO SLOW IN THE NEW MAC PRO?

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2014 May 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the new mac pro with this settings:

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

64 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC

AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

Software OS X 10.9.2

And the AE performs slower than in my old mac pro. I have set the preferences as seen on all those tutorials on this site, I have an SSD external disc for cache files, memory and multiprocessing settings correctly...and previews are very very slow, and I can not even render a single comp without waiting 10 minutes. I am very disappointed and frustrated with this situation...

Am I missing something?

mediacache.jpg

multiprocesing.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 30, 2014 Aug 30, 2014

Without wanting to sound condescending, because I genuinely understand your complaints, I must point out here that some of the onus here belongs to the hardware purchaser.  How carefully did you assess the purchase of the Mac Pro?

In my own facility, we were torn about which hardware to purchase this year.  After lots of research of available benchmarks, and assessment of what hardware After Effects relies on, we decided not to buy Mac Pros just yet, and bought a bunch of fully specced out iMacs

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 231 Replies 231
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2015 Dec 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this very helpful.  I have a brand new Laptop with all the bells and whistles - Fastest i7 processor, 32GB Ram, All SSD internal drives (5TB total in 2 stipe sets), GeForce 980 (Desktop Equivalent) - and my Render and Previews were horrible. 

I looked at all the basic performance settings and had no obvious issues.  Didn't realize some features were grayed-out that I needed, because I expected to have all the options available to me.

I knew performance needed to be better - because It hadn't been this bad since before they instituted Ram Previews (remember those days!).

So I searched more and found this Video - How to Enable GPU Acceleration (CUDA) in Premiere Pro or After Effects - YouTube

And found out that my newer Graphics Card was not listed in AFX device listings (it was recognized in Premiere though!).  I made the suggested Change and now my ram previews are performing as expected.  Not sure if Rendering will be better.  But I'm usually sleeping during those anyway... its the work-a-day preview that I needed to be responsive.

Anyway hope this helps some of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2015 Dec 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you do this with new new Mac Pro (which does not a CUDA card)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't.  No CUDA?  No hack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone want to buy a 2013 Mac Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Switch to motion/ final cut and cut your work day in half. The fact that this thread has 56000 views show that this is a widespread issue, probably poor optimisation of the software and trouble shooting isn't going to help. For every one angry comment here i wonder how many non partisipants have experienced the same thing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2016 Jan 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew: In principle I would agree but I don't think the purchase of a MacPro is the argument here. With ALL major software developers the manufacturer has a responsibility (to a lesser or greater extent) to the customer to keep the software up-to-date. Many if not all of the plug-in manufacturers for FCPX updated and some redesigned their software to take full advantage of the the new MacPro. It was a no briner to them because FCP already had a vast following (over 1,000,000), and FCPX and the new MacPro would be taking on much of that. This was also the case with the redesign of the audio/graphics layer(s) (metal) in El Capitan. - So if they can do it, WHY CANT ADOBE?!

Yes.. Adobe Premiere users are more likely to be using PC's !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After much deliberation I have decided NOT to renew my CC subscription. As a FCPX Editor After FX is an unacceptable bottle-neck to my workflow: no real time playback is the biggest issue and the horribly long render times as a result of no graphics card support - Adobe obviously have no interest in the capabilities of the Late 2013 MacPro so consequently I have lost interest in Adobe. There are other more capable (non-subscription based) solutions out there.

Thank you to all those previous that helped where they could.

bye!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines