• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why doesn't media encoder use same frame numbers as after effects comps when you export?

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I render out a lot of image sequences at work, b/c if you have a small change in the middle of an animation with lots of layers and effects, overwriting a few frames is a lot faster than a whole mp4. It drives me crazy that I can't patch up a few frames in the middle of a sequence with media encoder. I have to take the time to let AE render them, or downsave to another version which is inefficient.

Why isn't there the option of using the same frames numbers as the after effects comp that's been exported? I officially request this option in future updates. Unless anyone knows of a work around? I haven't been able to find one.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

This is user to user forum where we users help each other. The Adobe engeneers do not always read everything here. If you feel strongly about a (new)feature or (bug) fix please post it on uservoice, as it will be read by the engeneers: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Not just that, but can't net render without overwriting frames. It should just skip to the next image in the sequence. What's the point of a watch folder if every computer in the network is overwriting each other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, would love to use media encoder to save frames that correspond to the current project, regardless of what section of the project I'm rendering. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a much better workflow and it involves rendering, from AE, to a very high quality MOV. Then use PPro to double-check the animation, re-sync or add in audio stuff or even perform minor edits. Then, should a specific range require re-rendering in AE, just render out the required range and drop it appropriately in PPro — for such 'repair' renders, I add the Start TC of the 'repair' render's range into the filename to quickly indicate where in time to drop in the MOV. From PPro, with a very high quality Timeline, it's easy and quick to render out to an MP4. You also get the benefit of using PPro's Auto Reframe feature. And when it's time to archive your project, you have a high quality MOV as well as a PPro Project on hand. This workflow may take a bit of time to get accustomed to but the benefits are awesome.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021 year stupid Adobe can`t FIX this  issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a nightmare, still in 2021... ME always starts with frame 0, and I miss the "skip existing frames" option.
I simply cannot understand how a company that takes so much money per month can try so hard to make work uncomfortable for its customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think the easiest solution would be for them to put an option in media encoder for "starting frame number" rather than defaulting to _000.  That way it doesn't need any fancy coding to connect to AE or Premiere and figure out the comp range and starting frame or anything like that.  Just something simple in your PNG (or other image) sequence settings that lets you set the starting number.  I would think that would solve this for most of us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is user to user forum where we users help each other. The Adobe engeneers do not always read everything here. If you feel strongly about a (new)feature or (bug) fix please post it on uservoice, as it will be read by the engeneers: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I've posted there as well already, but I appreciate the head's up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Feel strongly ? The lack of this feature is so obvious that it's mind-blowing that it's still not implemented. I'm 100% sure that people at Adobe are aware of this. Why it's still not implemented doesn't make any sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines