• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why no support for GeForce GFX 750 Ti specifically?

Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I received and installed my brand new GeForce GFX 750 Ti, specifically bought for being able to use After Effects properly. My last card was an ATI/AMD FirePro which has no CUDA and thus couldn't use Ae. So I was using it CPU only! Which is total madness.

I was extremely disappointed to realize that my new GPU also isn't used almost at all, and that it's just as slow as my CPU-only! There is... no difference. I expected the difference to be like night and day.

Yes, I have the latest correct driver.

Yes, I have verified that other things using the GPU indeed are much faster.

I have looked through all the settings in After Effects and tried to make it use the GPU, but it just won't. I then saw on some page of compatible cards that Adobe lists all of them except for my card (basically). I didn't believe my eyes. I had no idea such a list even existed, and I especially didn't think that "certain models" of the same brand and model series of graphics cards would not be supported. It makes no sense. Both weaker and more powerful cards in the same damn series are supported, but not my card specifically? That's... unbelievable.

This has got to be a case of them simply having not yet tested my card well enough to call it "support", but it still sounds fishy to me as my card definitely has CUDA and is rather powerful. Much more powerful than other cards supported. It doesn't make sense to me.

Of course, I have it set to "use GPU anyway", but again... it doesn't seem to be used. This kills me. What is preventing Ae from using my card?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Hello Glitchness,

I was extremely disappointed to realize that my new GPU also isn't used almost at all, and that it's just as slow as my CPU-only! There is... no difference. I expected the difference to be like night and day.

Right, After Effects uses CPU and RAM, not the GPU except for acceleration of ray-traced 3D compositions, which is a feature we are no longer working on nor should you be too concerned with.

This has got to be a case of them simply having not yet tested my card well enough

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2014 Oct 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem with the 750 ti, and I also tried fixing it with the link you posted. same like you it seems at the GPU information box that everything is OK but I steel get the error messages and the RAY Traced 3D dosent work. I'd like to know if there is something different on our systems. what version of after effects do you use? and what version of windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2014 Oct 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probook4530s, In my opinion it works unless the error-message when starting After Effects but maybe im wrong...The possitive thing is that you can change the RAY Traced option from CPU to GPU so it should be working unless the error. But im not sure ..

I'm using Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64 bit with 8gb PC2-8500 and the MSI 750 Ti gaming card and the latest nvidia drivers 344.11
After Effects CC V12.

I'll hope we will find the sollution!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2014 Nov 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, and its NOT a solution to ignore the raytracing error. Since you can not select the comp to use raytraced 3D effects afterwards or it'll crash.

It only works, when you work with classic 3D. I recently tried that with a project where I had to bend a 3D layer, which only works in raytraced 3D.

When I select GPU acceleration and select raytraced 3D in the comp it will crash.

However I can select CPU and then raytraced 3D but it takes an eternity to render (like 35 minutes for a 6 second comp - and its nothing complex, just ONE 3D object)

I also don't know how I could bypass the problem with say C4D or Element 3D easily, since camera tracking in AE is involved.

Its really sad, that Adobe is not willing to just release a fix for all the users who paid a good amount of money for the product.

And the only thing they do is suggest to upgrade to AE CC - while its not said that the 750 ti would work, since its not in the compatibility list.

Actually I wonder how add-on or game developers archive to make their add-ons or games work on EVERY card without errors... even if they use CUDA.

Adobe should listen to what users demand, and add every card. On unsupported cards, there could be just a note "your card will work, but its not supported".

Because, maybe some day, somebody else will listen to what users demand, and then Adobe's reign will fall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2014 Nov 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uneternal wrote:

Adobe should listen to what users demand, and add every card. On unsupported cards, there could be just a note "your card will work, but its not supported".

They did do that. On the latest versions of AE, you can tick a box to use unsupported cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2015 Feb 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Uneternal,

Its really sad, that Adobe is not willing to just release a fix for all the users who paid a good amount of money for the product. And the only thing they do is suggest to upgrade to AE CC - while its not said that the 750 ti would work, since its not in the compatibility list.

The newer Maxwell NVIDIA GPUs do not contain the OptiX Library which is necessary for the acceleration of ray-traced 3D compositions. There is nothing we could "fix," it's a NVIDIA issue.

Actually I wonder how add-on or game developers archive to make their add-ons or games work on EVERY card without errors... even if they use CUDA.

In this case, NIVIDIA redesigned the GPUs without the OptiX Library, so there's nothing we can do to "make it work."

We have done that for NVIDIA CUDA GPUs that do contain the OptiX Library. Hope that helps you understand the situation better.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2014 Dec 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem , i have geforce gtx 750 ti and i have final update for AE and i have the final cuda and  give me the same massage and i can,t do the ray traced 5070 ::0  on after effect 6                 and 5070::12 on after effect cc 2014

if any one have solution please tell me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ahmed,

ahmed nasr wrote:

i have the same problem , i have geforce gtx 750 ti and i have final update for AE and i have the final cuda and  give me the same massage and i can,t do the ray traced 5070 ::0  on after effect 6                 and 5070::12 on after effect cc 2014

if any one have solution please tell me

The GTX 750 Ti is a newer Maxwell based GPU that does not contain the OptiX Library, which is necessary for the acceleration of ray-traced 3D compositions in After Effects, so it won't work for that. Sorry.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to say, that im in that club for couple of months now. Still waiting to see if Adobe will do something with it. I bought new card when I heard that CUDA will increase render performance, didnt know that it has to be one of few GeForces...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Artur,

...when I heard that CUDA will increase render performance, didnt know that it has to be one of few GeForces...

The newer Maxwell based NVIDIA cards do not have the OptiX Library, so they cannot be used for acceleration of ray-traced 3D compositions, if that's what you meant. Sorry.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Glitchness,

Right, After Effects uses CPU and RAM, not the GPU except for acceleration of ray-traced 3D compositions, which is a feature we are no longer working on nor should you be too concerned with.

This has got to be a case of them simply having not yet tested my card well enough to call it "support", but it still sounds fishy to me as my card definitely has CUDA and is rather powerful. Much more powerful than other cards supported. It doesn't make sense to me.

Of course, I have it set to "use GPU anyway", but again... it doesn't seem to be used. This kills me. What is preventing Ae from using my card?

The one feature you are looking the GPU to support is not going to work in your particular case. Your newer NVIDIA GPU does have CUDA, but not the OptiX Library that is required to accelerate ray-traced 3D compositions, so your GPU will never work for that one feature.

If that's not a deal breaker, my suggestion is to move forward with the knowledge that the GPU is not important for After Effects performance or your particular workflow.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree  with Glitchness.  Pretty arcane to release the latest version of a software product (CC 2014.2) say in documentation that  it supports Nvidia Cuda gpu accelerated processing, then after I purchase the latest Nvidia GTX 970 graphics card, I have to dig into the bowels of the Inter-web to discover... "Well we support Cuda kinda,  no no not the new Cuda, we support the old cuda, but not too old. Maybe between 2010 and 2012 version"  What the Hell !  What is the point of the List of Verified graphics cards?  Do you expect new After Effects customers to go on Ebay and purchase used video cards to put in my brand new workstation ?  If Adobe thinks that is acceptable then I would guess they would have no problem releasing the next update that only supports the Maxwell Cuda incarnation and screw all the OptiX folks.

The correct thing to do is to 1) Create a new solution that has all the functionality of Ray Tracing (including 3D Text which is what I was working on). 2) Then remove ray tracing from AE altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cuff king wrote:

The correct thing to do is to 1) Create a new solution that has all the functionality of Ray Tracing (including 3D Text which is what I was working on). 2) Then remove ray tracing from AE altogether.

That is what they're doing. Cinema 4D is included with After Effects now! You can make 3d text in that and a whole lot more. It's way more powerful than the ray-traced renderer was. Details of CINEMA 4D integration with After Effects or, if you prefer, Getting Started with Cinema 4D Lite and Cineware

And they have said that they are working to increase the functionality and interaction between AE and C4D. The one thing the C4D link doesn't let you do that the ray-traced renderer did was let you use expressions to control things. Hopefully that gets added eventually.

And, for folks who really want the ray-traced renderer, yes, use the cards they recommend in the system requirements page - that's why the page is there. I wouldn't dream of spending money on a machine for a specific software without checking the system requirements page for that software first. Used cards in a new machine? Sure! If you want to use old software, you might need old hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I did watch the CINEMA 4D video and I do see where they were able to use that tool to do what I was trying to do with Ray Tracing, and yeah I agree that this path is probably better in the long run. However I still think that the systems requirement page should have a boldfaced note that ***NEWER NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARDS ARE NOT SUPPORTED FOR RAY TRACE !"    Most anyone who read that page would assume that it just had not been updated with the newer video card series.

Thanks with the help moving us on to the newer solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cuff King wrote:

Most anyone who read that page would assume that it just had not been updated with the newer video card series.

That is a fair point. It would be wise to update that page to reflect the newer generations of cards won't work.

I'm glad you are on your way with the newer, better methods!

By the way, if you do a lot of 3d text and want a pretty astoundingly fast-rendering way to do it, there are some pretty good third-party plugins out there. VideoCopilot's Element 3d, Zaxwerks' 3d Invigorator, and Mettle's ShapeShifter are all pretty impressive and any of them will pay for themselves with the first job you use them on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Szalam,

That is a fair point. It would be wise to update that page to reflect the newer generations of cards won't work.

Yes it is. I will forward the thread to the documentation lead to make an update.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I have the same issue as others in this thread, have a GTX 750 Ti and am unable to work with Ray Traced 3D at all.

I understand that the Ray Traced 3D feature is now becoming obsolete and replaced with Cinema 4D lite integration

and that newer cards going forward will never be able to support it.

The problem is that I am unable to edit existing projects that use Ray Traced 3D as whenever I open a project that uses it

on this pc, I get the error "Ray-traced 3D: Initial shader compile failed" and am unable to see the work or make any changes.

Is there no workaround for this? Can you not use the CPU to handle some Ray Tracing? The problem persist regardless of whether

I set CPU or GPU, or the checkbox to 'enable untested unsupported GPU'.

I have a pretty high end machine with a quad core i7 processor. Is it possible to maybe convert Ray Trace 3D work into something

Cinema 4D lite can read and edit?

What would you suggest for those of us who need to edit existing projects that have Ray Traced 3D elements

on newer pc's with unsupported cards?

Thanks,

Justin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Justin.

Normally it should give you no error when you select the CPU. This was the workaround in my case.

But it takes utterly long to process on a CPU. In my case it rendered almost an hour for a 20 seconds sequence with a bended layer.

But maybe if the Adobe staff reads this, they could find a solution with the Nvidia team / or use the latest Optix libraries to make this stuff work.

I tried it in AE CC and I had the same problems (only thing that changed is, that CC suppressed the error message).

It would be really grand if they could fix this finally. Maybe even in CS6, since so many people are still working with this version. But probably that dream is not going to happen

It can't be the solution to use something else (Cinema 4D) if a part of the main software is not working.

Thats like a mechanic saying: "Oh your fuel injection doesn't work anymore? Well, we put an airplane engine in front of your car, maybe use this instead, you just have to do a pilot's license."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines