• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will after effects take advantage of dual CPU's?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm upgrading form a single i7 to a dual Intel Xeon silver 12 core 2.2 GHz setup.

Will i see any speed increase in my after effects previewing, rendering and performence? 

does after effects recognise dual processors and take advantage of them?

Cheers,

L

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long and short: No. AE uses a full buffer renderer, meaning it cannot distribute calculations into buckets/ tiles/ scanlines plus due to general limitations in video processing such as linear file access and sequential calculations for temporal consistency there is only so much room to optimize for multithreading and parallel processing to begin with. In fact since per-core-efficiency is lower on Xeons and TurboBoost doesn't work the same way as on iX processors overall performance may be worse. Using such a setup really only makes sense for extensive 3D work and/ or other compositing tools like Nuke, but not AE.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, I wanted to move from an i7-4770 (3.4MHz) to a workstation with dual Xeon 5650 (2.6MHz). This is the wrong way! Isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take careful note of Mylenium's advice here. Clock speed is much more important than core count for Ae. Obviously it depends what generation of i7 you're moving from - but 2.2GHz is not much more than half the clock speed of a good i7 or i9 chip. As far as Ae work is concerned - you could easily be heading for a downgrade.
You might want to spend some time reading related articles here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/

They're a well regarded system builder who have done a lot of testing into hardware for Ae and related applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines