• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Would it be possible to edit out this person?

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Don't know if this is the right place to ask. Would it be possible to remove the woman with the camera in this shot and would it be very time consuming to do so? I myself are new to this and I'm not sure I can handle it.

snÆrt.mp4 - Google Drive

/Fred

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is possible. it is difficult. time consuming but not just that - it takes advanced skill to pull this off.

the tricky parts are the ones where she moves on the kids and conductor which are moving themselves. I would stabilize the shot, then create clean plates and apply them to the shot. there's some extra work on those parts when she is in front of the kids and drum sticks that would involve some creative work in recreating the imagery. all in one I would say this is possible but would take intensive work. this is advanced stuff. you would also want to try looking at mocha pro for this mocha Pro 5 Plug-In: Remove Module Quick Tutorial on Vimeo

still, this is no easy task. the camera is moving, the object is moving, the object is moving across other moving objects. it's as complex as it gets really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first step in fixing a shot like this is to carefully analyze what you have and decide on the most efficient way to deal with the problem. You almost always need multiple copies of your footage so the first step would be to duplicate the footage.

The most obvious first problem is that the camera is moving around. The obvious solution for that is to Motion Stabilize the shot so that it is not moving around anymore. This is easy to do if you open up the Motion Tracking workspace and stabilize motion including rotation and scale. You will want to pick two points that do not move and that are visible during the entire shot.

trackPoints.png

These two points would work. You run and apply Stabilize Motion and make sure that Position, Rotation, and Scale are checked. To keep things organized rename the stabilized layer "stabilized."

When you remove something from a shot, like the woman that is sneaking through this shot, you need to replace the background somehow. The best way to do this is with a Clean Plate. In this case, a "Clean Plate" is footage or a frame of footage that does not have the woman in the shot. Fortunately, the first frame of the footage is a great clean plate so all you have to do is to Freeze Frame the bottom layer and you have your clean plate.

The next step is to create a mask that hides the woman. Sometimes this is very complicated because there is a lot of action happening behind the thing you are trying to remove from the scene. In your shot, the entire foreground does not move so one big mask is going to work for most of the shot. There are a few frames where the kids are moving right behind the woman so you will have to take care of that problem with, you guessed it, another layer. The easiest way to create that matte is to add a solid layer to the top of the timeline and set the blend mode to Screen so you can easily see through the layer. A light blue works really well for this shot. Then you use the pen tool (g) to draw a mask that includes everything that is moving in the shot except the woman. As you scrub through the timeline you'll find places where the woman in front of one of the kids and they are moving. There are other places in the timeline where the woman is in front of kids and they are not moving. for those frames you can simply animate the mask you are drawing on the track matte layer. In other places, the kids will be moving when she is in front of them. This is where you need another layer. This is the first obvious place where I see this happening.

movingKids.png

At this point the easiest thing to do is duplicate the stabilized footage layer, trim the in and out points so the layer is just long enough to cover the frames where the woman is in front of the kids, then add another track matte and then time shift the kid moving layer so you can line up their movement and get the timing right. This is the hardest part of the project.

When you have all of the problems fixed it is time to enable the track mattes and put the motion back in the camera. You do this by adding a null to the timeline, moving to the first frame, then tying the null's Position, Rotation and Scale to the second layer's Anchor Point, Rotation, and Scale. The last step is to parent all of the layers except the clean plate to the null.

This screenshot shows the project before fixing the frames where the hands and iPad are in front of the moving kids. I didn't take the time to fix it. I hope you get the idea.

hands.png

This is a link to an animation preset you can apply to the Null layer that will write the expressions for you: Dropbox - destabilize Rotation Scale.ffx

Here are the expressions if you want to write them yourself.
Position:

thisComp.layer("stabilized").transform.anchorPoint

Scale:

x = value[0];

y = value[1];

tx = thisComp.layer("stabilized").transform.scale[0];

ty = thisComp.layer("stabilized").transform.scale[1];

nx = x/tx*x;

ny = y/ty*y;

[nx, ny]

Rotation:

- thisComp.layer("stabilized").rotation

The only difficult one is scale.

I hope you understand the process. It's all about layers. Removing someone from a different shot may require an entirely different workflow. I think this is the most efficient way to do this shot. Getting this far took me less time than it did to write this post.

There are really only a few frames that are going to require the extra work of time shifting. With some experience you could pull off this composite in about an hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, thanx for your help! I’ve never used After Effects. I tried following a couple of tutorials, but it’s a bit to advanced for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the risk of being obvious, you could cut around it.  Or reshoot.  That's how I'd solve that problem.

Do you need the entire clip? What's the story? Can you cut out the distracting pieces or put something over them? That's a lot of work to fix.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's middle schoolers rehearsing.  They rehearse a lot.  You would be MUCH better off just re-shooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s actually a concert and students up to age of 18 participate. But yes, a reeshoot from a rehearsal might be easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines