Highlighted

3d Motion tracking text

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to make 3D motion tracked text on after effects for my youtube channel.

As this is my first time trying to motion track on after effects i watched a YouTube video about it.

I have followed all of the steps but when i match the X/Y/Z axis to the Track solid i had made when choosing the points, the text i had created just got smaller and moved to the bottom right hand corner of the video. In other words the text did not stick to the tracking points and just floated away.

I dont want to start the whole project again, so a solution to a fix would be much appreciated.

I am using the latest version of after effects

Any solutions or advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

3d Motion tracking text

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to make 3D motion tracked text on after effects for my youtube channel.

As this is my first time trying to motion track on after effects i watched a YouTube video about it.

I have followed all of the steps but when i match the X/Y/Z axis to the Track solid i had made when choosing the points, the text i had created just got smaller and moved to the bottom right hand corner of the video. In other words the text did not stick to the tracking points and just floated away.

I dont want to start the whole project again, so a solution to a fix would be much appreciated.

I am using the latest version of after effects

Any solutions or advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your workflow description is missing important details.

How did you motion track? The common options are Camera Tracking, Motion Tracking, or Track In Mocha. 

Saying that you watched a tutorial on YouTube also does not tell us anything about your workflow. Most of the newer tutorials on YouTube are presented by enthusiasts, most leave out important details and are poorly explained, a great deal of them are like a recipe for chocolate chip cookies, change an ingredient and you fail. Quite a few of the newer tutorials are just plain terrible workflows. If you need help with a tutorial we need to have a link to the tutorial. 

It sounds like you are using Camera Tracking, probably did not set an origin and ground plane, and when you added your text layer and made it 3D you did not move it into the same position as the track solid. By far the fastest and easiest way to move the text layer to the same position and orientation as a Track Solid is to hold down the Shift key and Parent the 3D text layer to the Track Solid. When you get it there you can adjust the X, Y, and Z rotation properties to stand it up and face the layer in the right direction. 

Screenshots of you comp with the modified properties of the layers that are giving you problems also help. Select the Track Solid, Ctrl/Cmnd + select the 3D text layer, press "uu" and take a screenshot. Embed that screenshot in the forum by using the toolbar so we can see what is going on. When you reveal modified properties in the Track Solid and the 3D Text layer you will clearly see that the position properties don't match. Shift + parent will fix the position, then when you release the parent the values will all match up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I was following this tutorial : https://youtu.be/Bm4uCzy0BJQ.    

I was using the camera tracking.

the problem was that even though i copy and pasted the X/Y/Z  from the track solid to the 3d text the text didnt stay put and just drifted away.

in this tutorial I show you how to create 3D motion tracked text for your Fortnite Montages! Thank you all once again for all of the support and be sure to s...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shift + parent to the Track Solid and you are done. It moved away because it is not in the same 3D space as the solid. You could have checked this in about 2 seconds if you had opened up multiple views. 

As far as the tutorial goes I give it a huge thumbs down because before he even gets started with the how two he promotes the idea of getting Element 3D for free, which is theft. 

As for the instructional part of the video, he starts losing points for efficient workflow when he starts trimming the clip using the work area to change the length of the comp. He is also using a "cinematic" and that kind of footage is often created without true perspective so camera tracking will not work. His shot isn't even a good example of a good candidate for camera tracking. He also fails to mention or use the Motion Tracking workspace which is very helpful. He also fails to mention anything at all about setting an origin and ground plane, verifying the track. I can go on and on. Confusing language like zoom out when he is actually scrubbing through the timeline are indications that he is an amateur. 

The workflow in Element 3D, which he stole by his own admission, is also lacking, and the technique of moving the Element 3D layer to the same position as the Track Solid is not a recommended or workflow at all. The whole workflow is incorrect. That is why you are having problems. If you are not using his footage then the likelihood of success is very low. I give the workflow a D-.

I won't go over the proper workflow any more than saying that if you are using Element 3D, after you have set an origin and ground plane and verified your camera track, and set the Track Solid to a Guide layer, you should create a 3D null, shift + parent the null to the Track Solid, release the parent, then use the null to position the Element 3D extruded text layer. 

Go to Video Copilot and look at the element 3D tutorials. They know what they are doing. This guy, in spite of his nearly 100,000 views, either doesn't know what he is doing or can't explain it well at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines