• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe After Effects window WAY off screen

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Adobe After Effects window is way beyond the display. This happens sometimes when I use external displays as well. It also happens in other Adobe programs I run as well. Here's a link to a video of the error in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0S4lUDBeHg&feature=youtu.be

The video ends abruptly because lowering the resolution of the screen disrupts quicktime's screen recording.

Sometimes it sorts itself out, but i'm not sure how. I usually have to work in a lower resolution just to get the window to pop into my desktop which is definitely not ideal.

SUPER ANNOYING AND A WASTE OF TIME. NOT COOL.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Hi PaulR,

I had this problem. Frustrating. Try trashing your preferences file. On my MacBook Pro, it's what worked for me. You can file a bug here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Hi PaulR, easy solution:

1) Close After Effects.

2) Set your screen at resolution you want.

3) Shft  + Alt + Cmd immediately when you click in application icon to run it, clic OK.

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-19 a la(s) 14.53.29.png

With this action you clear the preferences and when AE opens it's gonna be ok in fullscreen.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear what you expect. 6 Desktops? Holy S....! OIf course this will wreak havoc with your avialable hardware resources and things like programs detecting screen sizes and hardware acceleration because those virtual desktops are not bound to physical dimensions. You are not understanding something very fundamental here. Simply don't use this stuff and launch the Adobe programs directly. You haven't provided any useful info beyond your video, anyway. We can't have any clue what Mac this actualyl is just by looking at a recorded screen.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a 15in Macbook Pro Retina. all of the desktops are the same size/resolution so I don't see why that would cause Adobe programs to stray from the boundaries of the screen. I have one external display set to the same resolution. Sometimes when I unplug from the display, the Adobe window moves beyond the edge of the screen.

Instead of telling me I don't understand something, why not try to actually help instead of being so condescending and belittling.

I removed all of my extra desktops unplugged my external display and launched Premiere. The window still launched beyond the screenScreen Shot 2018-03-15 at 9.21.56 AM.png

Now what wise guy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PaulR,

I had this problem. Frustrating. Try trashing your preferences file. On my MacBook Pro, it's what worked for me. You can file a bug here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'll give this a try next time it happens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

So I found a really quick solution to this problem, it works for me every time and hopefully it can help others too. I made a little video tutorial:

Adobe After Effects Window Off Screen FIXED (QUICK) - YouTube

Try it next time it happens to you and let me know if it works, best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check it out, found a quick and easy solution

Adobe After Effects Window Off Screen FIXED (QUICK) - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PaulR, easy solution:

1) Close After Effects.

2) Set your screen at resolution you want.

3) Shft  + Alt + Cmd immediately when you click in application icon to run it, clic OK.

Captura de pantalla 2018-03-19 a la(s) 14.53.29.png

With this action you clear the preferences and when AE opens it's gonna be ok in fullscreen.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'll give this a try next time it happens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I found this answer to be more clear than the above Adobe Staff answer, as you have provided both reproduction steps as well as visual examples. Your answer solved this frustrating problem within 30 seconds, where the "Correct Answer" from the Adobe Staff member was too ambiguous which led me to searching my root OS for AE Preferences. Nicely done sir!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me. On mac ofcourse it is Shift + Option + Command

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me on occasion as I move from large monitor to laptop while on the go. Just press Command+\ (macOS) and everything will snap into view on the smaller monitor. I assume Control+\ does the same thing in Windows. This works in Premiere Pro too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU! This one worked for me. I had my composition window stuck all the way on the top of my screen, and this worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines