• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I parent an entire comp to another? So anything I change in one, will also change in the other?

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how best to explain this. I'm making a slideshow with 64 slides. Each slide shows a different person, but the design of each slide is the same. Each slide shows one person's name, birthday, death date, and their photo. I've figured out how to auto-populate these fields with an external text document and $.eval(). 

But I know the client is going to want to make some design changes. Like they may want the text all at the bottom, or the photos smaller than I make them, or a fancy border around the whole frame. Is there a way for me to build this project, so that I can just change one Master comp, and the other 64 comps will make the same changes automatically? Basically a template, or a "parent comp"? 

Thanks ahead of time for your advice!

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a couple of options that don't involve a lot of scripting. The most obvious solution is to use a comp called Slide for the frame, then put the photo above that layer, then put the text above that layer and use an animation preset to make them all move.

The other way would be to use Essential Graphics to design the animation and the graphics, then just put the photo below the thing you designed. 

If you are already using JSON to populate the text layers, then a couple of animation presets could easily change the animation on all of your Photo holding layers. 

I'd need to see a screenshot of the comp to be sure, but if I had a bunch of photos to turn into a slide show with overlays I probably would just do it all in Lightroom or I would create a MOGRT for the text and do all the editing in Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll definitely want Master Properties, here's a tutorial on getting up and running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ZsiQy764Q
Only thing you can't change easily are the images this way, so what you'll want to do is make a layer switcher at the top that toggles their opacity from 0 to 100 and chose the photo from your Master Property instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As Justin says: you want to use master properties.

Mathias Möhl - Developer of tools like BeatEdit and Automation Blocks for Premiere Pro and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines