Highlighted

Creating a looped animation but with delay on some objects

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! So, I've recently started trying to make a 30 seconds animation of a girl sitting on a "floating" futuristic chair, the thing is that this animation is going to be for a "waiting" screen for a Twitch channel (like when the streamer is AFK) so it has to loop perfectly.

I've been using the loopOut expression, which works really good for the animation of the chair going up and down, but I also want to animate the hair (she has twintails), creating an illusion of gravity. The thing that worked good for me is creating 3 keyframes of the hair moving up and down and side to side, but to create the illusion I had to delay (like, move those keyframes some frames to the right) so it doesn't move exactly at the same time than the body. Adding the loopOut expression works PERFECT while the loop is working inside the 30 seconds, but when it gets to the last second, the loop cuts and the twintails jump to the "base frame" because of the delayed keyframes not being exactly at the first frame.

Is there a way to solve this? Maybe a plugin, or another expression or something like that?

Topics

Error or problem, Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Creating a looped animation but with delay on some objects

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! So, I've recently started trying to make a 30 seconds animation of a girl sitting on a "floating" futuristic chair, the thing is that this animation is going to be for a "waiting" screen for a Twitch channel (like when the streamer is AFK) so it has to loop perfectly.

I've been using the loopOut expression, which works really good for the animation of the chair going up and down, but I also want to animate the hair (she has twintails), creating an illusion of gravity. The thing that worked good for me is creating 3 keyframes of the hair moving up and down and side to side, but to create the illusion I had to delay (like, move those keyframes some frames to the right) so it doesn't move exactly at the same time than the body. Adding the loopOut expression works PERFECT while the loop is working inside the 30 seconds, but when it gets to the last second, the loop cuts and the twintails jump to the "base frame" because of the delayed keyframes not being exactly at the first frame.

Is there a way to solve this? Maybe a plugin, or another expression or something like that?

Topics

Error or problem, Expressions, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No plug-in, no magic, just math. Simply build the loop with multiple cycles, i.e. the hair cycling over 60 seconds while the chair is bobbing up and down in 30 secs.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new using After Effects so I don't think I follow... how can I do that cycles thing?

I think there is a script for that though, I've seen motion graphic creators using a Delay script for login screens for League of Legends, for example making a character breath, so his head moves first, and then half a second later his neck, but I don't really get what they are doing, I tried copying their script but it gives me an error, so I think I'm doing something wrong.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mylenium LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You completely misunderstand. All that matters is the duration of your output clip, meaning your composition duration. How you create the motion is secondary. Conventional keyframing will do just fine. You just need to ensure that everything lines up at the start and end.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines