Highlighted

Double clicking keyframe does not work after update!

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per the title...

Somone clever thought it's a good idea to disable the double clicking on the keyframe behaviour with the latest update. It's cricket sounds and tumbleweed bouncing past when you double click to edit a value.

It can only be accessed with a right click, edit value... then left click, which is incredibly inefficient. And there doesn't seem to be any functionality that is swapped in for this incredibly annoying loss. And yes, I've restarted, the latest update is the only change that happened between then and now. And no, there isn't even any keyboard shortcut set to enable this.

Thank you very much Adobe, you just rendered one of your users slower for no apparent reason.

Topics

Error or problem, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Double clicking keyframe does not work after update!

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per the title...

Somone clever thought it's a good idea to disable the double clicking on the keyframe behaviour with the latest update. It's cricket sounds and tumbleweed bouncing past when you double click to edit a value.

It can only be accessed with a right click, edit value... then left click, which is incredibly inefficient. And there doesn't seem to be any functionality that is swapped in for this incredibly annoying loss. And yes, I've restarted, the latest update is the only change that happened between then and now. And no, there isn't even any keyboard shortcut set to enable this.

Thank you very much Adobe, you just rendered one of your users slower for no apparent reason.

Topics

Error or problem, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually just noticed this myself. Nobody intentionally disabled this, it's probably just a bug. These are user-to-user forums, if you want the After Effects team to know about the problem you should post a bug to UserVoice: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects

In my experience, a kindly worded bug report with as much detail as possible (exact version number, version of Windows, a version where the bug previously didn't exist) goes a long way for the team to reproduce, and fix the bug.

[Please use the "Reply" button under the FIRST POST to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, one other thing, are you seeing this behavior in the public release (17.1.2) or After Effects (Beta)? I'm seeing it only in the beta release, but this is the kind of information that's important when filing a helpful report. 

[Please use the "Reply" button under the FIRST POST to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Thank you for your response. I also thought it's a bug. Funny how it's brand new bug coming with a bug fix update.

I'm seeing this error on AE version 17.1.3 (Build 41) after a public update was deployed and installed this morning around 0930 GMT via CC. I'm running on Windows 10 Pro with all the latest critical updates installed and the display drivers updated only a couple of days ago, which is probably irrelevant anyway.

I've seen how Adobe bug reports were treated (bog standard responses or tumbleweed crickets denial combination). Thus, I prefer to help mount a user base frustration so they feel a little more pressure than their usual to tend to their products.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this isn't how software works. When you have a couple million lines of code, changing one feature can inadvertently break another.

I know many members on the After Effects team and I can tell you they take their job seriously. I can also guarantee you that posting here will not make its way to the developers. The After Effects team continually tells users they can't fix problems they don't know about. What seems obvious to you and me doesn't necessarily means it shows up in testing (I'm willing to bet the majority of users don't even know about this feature).

Think about the hundreds of thousands (millions? I have no idea, actually) of users on the hundreds of thousands of machine and software configurations. It's impossible to catch everything. Constant bug fixes are a reality of software development, and one thing you may have noticed that the After Effects team has been able to do in the last year is to start pushing out monthly bug fix releases. This has been huge and has drastically reduced the number of ongoing problems we have because they can get patched quickly.

I always find it interesting how nobody seems to take issue with regular mobile app updates where the only release notes are "bug fixes and performance improvements." I'd say at least 1/3 of the apps I have installed on my phone weekly updates with the same release notes; I find those useless and would love to find out what bugs are actually fixed, but most big apps aren't interested in admitting their flaws.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you David,

I do know how software development works, pretty up close. Testing is the keyword here. I also know how development process is affected when big companies get way too big for their own good, get down to monopolising at all costs, buying off competition, killing competitor technologies, absorbing whole libraries without investing all those monies back in to re-write their core architecture, because they are not threatened by a loss of their userbase. Etcetera, so on and on and so forth...

I'll post the bug on yet another Adobe website as per your suggestion when I can spare time from the project I'm currently working on.

Cheers

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using 17.1.2 build 37 and the double click functionality is working fine for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines