• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Home button

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to CC 2019 and After Effects has been affected by the home button like almost every other program. I was able to remove it from Photoshop, but is there a way to remove it from After Effects? It's right where I'm used to clicking for the select tool and I hit it instead every time. It just needs to go away.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should really try to get in the habit of using the keyboard shortcuts to navigate the toolbar. Over the course of the year it will probably save you a couple of days. The selection tool is the V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree but when you are using the text tool there is no way that I know of to switch to the selector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select other tools when you're using the text tool. You just have to use the Command/Control button. I found this page that could help.

After Effects keyboard shortcuts reference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with both of you : )

1. Use V.

2. What a stupid thing to add to the toolbar...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike_Abbott  wrote

What a stupid thing to add to the toolbar...

Just wait...

AE2020-menus.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shall be having nightmares tonight....

...although, maybe the drink and burger button might be OK : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just missing emojis icons on it. lol But if the drink and burger button is the first one then I don't have any problem with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Dave - thinking about this, you've got the priorities all wrong. By the time we get to CC 2020 the selection tool will be just to the right of the cat...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The automatic cat video tool (powered by Senseiâ„¢) is amazing. Don't even need to own a cat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. In Photoshop, you can turn it off. In Illustrator, it's in an innocuous place. It's only in After Effects that I have a real issue with it. I usually do keyboard shortcuts when I can, but in AE, it's a key combination (Command + key) instead of just the key itself, like in Photoshop, unless they've changed it on me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for mentioning this! I have been frustrated all day clicking in the wrong place for the selector tool.

What a terrible freaking idea to place that there when it serves very little purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same HERE!!! So annoying. This have been a really huge deal for me trying to get stuff done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too ......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally tweet them  and I don't even use twitter at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, v shortcut is not helpful when you are using the text tool and the home button is there for no reason!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lucac65382863  wrote

Yeah, v shortcut is not helpful when you are using the text tool...

Right, you don't use v when you are using the text tool. When you are using the text tool, you just hold down control (or command, on Mac) to activate the move tool. It's very handy if you just want to move stuff real quick.

Now, if you're wanting to commit your text changes and switch to the selection/move tool, the only thing to do is to click the button. However, I've always found it faster just to hit enter on the keypad and press v OR to click off of the text layer (like anywhere in the timeline panel) and hit v - instead of going all the way up to the top left to click on the tool button.

That said, I understand the frustration of that home button being there for those of you who are used to clicking the selection tool instead. Being able to remove it or to move it would be welcome for y'all and I get that. I'm just trying to help with some suggestions on alternate ways to handle the situation until we see if Adobe will implement the removal option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CTRL+Enter confirms the text entry/edit and exits Text Edit mode - removes the "I" text insertion from the text area. Then hitting "v" becomes a viable choice.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to add my voice to those asking for this to be removed. Or at least add the ability to customise the toolbar. I keep clicking this instead of the select tool and it's driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of users, including myself, have had this issue. BUTT, I've since grown to like it - not the icon nor its placement but for what it does - bringing up recent projects. I use this feature a lot and after deliberately clicking on the Home Icon, I now find that I have stopped clicking on it inadvertently. 

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this really their idea of creating updates to streamline productivity for their creative community? I think this is a very confusing and totally utterly unnecessary addition. One should think adobes UX-designer is a close friend of Apple's iTunes and podcast UX-designer 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so, just to make things abundantly clear: Is there definitely no way to edit your toolbar to get rid of the Home button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there is no way to edit the toolbar, at least that I know of or that is in the documentation, which I have read and always do read carefully before each upgrade or update is installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? Was the addition of the home icon in place of the most-used function in after effects listed as one of the new features in any of the documentation ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines