• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add animated water ripple effect to static image

Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I want to apply an animated subtle wave effect to the body of water in the image below? I know I will have to mask the water section, but not sure what effect will give me what I'm looking for. My goal is to create natural movement to this body of water or at least as close as possible. Btw, I have AE 2020 with the Boris Sapphire plugins and the standard AE effects. I also have the entire Adobe suite in case there are other app suggestions. 

Thanks much.

baltimore.jpg

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

update: I was able to get what I was looking for using the "wave warp" fx in AE. After a few simple tweaks, it gave me what I was looking for. Again, thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bundled effects set from Cycore, includes CC Drizzle and it does a pretty decent water ripple simulation. Look for it in Effect>Simulation>CC Drizzle.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Now that I look at what the ripple effect looks like I think I need a different effect. I basically want to show that the water has a natural movement to it instead of been still as what a still image shows. Having said that I will try the effect. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple: Some kind of gradient as a 3D layer rotated to match the perspective in the image + an appropriate blend mode.

A little more complex: The same 3D gradient layer pre-composed and used as the source for the Water Surface in the Caustics Effect applied to a copy of the original image. Here is a screenshot of both workflows with some basic explanations:

Screenshot_2020-04-11 16.12.30_PCAKq5.png

The trick is creating the displacement map. Anything you can do to generate the displacement map will do. Wave World is a good way to simulate wave action and generate a gradient, but it can be as simple as a bunch of animated shapes blurred and moving. The general rule for displacement maps is that 50% luminosity (gray) does not move pixels and the farther you get away from 50% the more pixels move in one direction or the other. Setup your displacement map correctly and you won't have to do any masking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick, Thanks for the response. Now that I look at what the ripple effect looks like I think I need a different effect. I basically want to show that the water has a natural movement to it instead of been still as what a still image shows. Having said that I will try the effect. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

update: I was able to get what I was looking for using the "wave warp" fx in AE. After a few simple tweaks, it gave me what I was looking for. Again, thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use any kind of displacement map. If you want water flowing try Fractal Noise and a simple displacement map:

Screenshot_2020-04-12 00.44.43_jZLny5.png

Here's the video and the Project file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6fe6w322a6bnjhg/water%20displacement.aep?dl=0

You will have to use your image in the project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines