• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to automaticly select subject on After Effects?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select-subject-selectandmask-photoshopcc2018.png
When I click "Select Subject" button on Photoshop.Software automatically selects person or anohter subject etc.
 But I want this for every frame of video.In photoshop,you need to add a layer for every frame and it is too hard.
How can I make "select subject" in After Effects? Rotobrush tool is really useless,and inconsisten,and it never select auto subject.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Expressions , How to , Import and export , Preview , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course I know mask tracking but it is manual and it is too bad and unsatisfactory against the "select subject" in photosop.
Is there any way to apply all masked frames as a video,like all masks are photoshop's "select subject"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing and frankly if you think doing masking is too hard then you should not be working with video or for that matter even still images in PS - until recently these AI-assisted functions didn't even exist. If you're serious about getting into graphics and video editing you need to get to grips with the fact that it will involve lots and lots of manual labor even for seemingly simple things.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually,Rotobrush is sampling previous samples by its own mask,for example when we use this tool to a moving person,his/her arms moves totally destroy rotobrush,even we fix it,arms will destroy it again after a few frames.
But "select subject" in photoshop is a way to detect person in every single frame.But in photoshop we have to create layers for every frame and this is impossible.The actual question that I asked is if there any way to detect "subject" in AEE every frame(not sampling from previous frame).
As anohter example,some AI s are perfectly removing backgrounds of image automatically,I want these to renew for every frame and merge them again in a video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A few years late, but I'll just mention that the way to do this is to export your after effects composition as a jpeg or png sequence, and in photoshop record an action, in which you use Select -> Select Subject, copy the selection to a new layer, and delete the original layer.  Then File -> save a copy.  
Now to go to File -> Automate -> Batch.  Select the folder where your jpeg/png sequence is as the source folder, make a new folder for the output, and select the action that you just created.  You will now have a folder of just the frames of the select subject selection, and you can import them back into after effects, precompose the sequence, and you're good to go.  As other people mentioned though, this will not get you an extremely clean result on most types of footage, but you may be able to modify the action to fit your specific needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they're are just looking for an easier, quicker and better way. So many variables that come into play here such as the quality of video that needs to be masked, deadline requirements etc. Peace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rotobrush works amazingly well on properly shot footage. No tool, even the tools in Photoshop work on every kind of footage. 

Rotobrush is not very intuitive and you have to follow a very specific workflow to get it to properly propagate so if you just opened up Rotobrush and clicked on a "subject" it is highly unlikely that you would be successful for more than 1 or 2 frames. You have to do some homework to learn how to properly use the tool. 

Hand roto is not all that difficult either if you do your homework. I hand rotoscoped a half dozen shots last week for a short film and it didn't take me more than an hour and a half to do all six shots.

Please give us a look at the footage you are trying to roto and we can point you in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually,Rotobrush is sampling previous samples by its own mask,for example when we use this tool to a moving person,his/her arms moves totally destroy rotobrush,even we fix it,arms will destroy it again after a few frames.
But "select subject" in photoshop is a way to detect person in every single frame.But in photoshop we have to create layers for every frame and this is impossible.The actual question that I asked is if there any way to detect "subject" in AEE every frame(not sampling from previous frame).
As anohter example,some AI s are perfectly removing backgrounds of image automatically,I want these to renew for every frame and merge them again in a video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no automatic function in AE - yet! - but I do this by converting a video to a JPG sequence then batch processing the JPGs in Photoshop. I normally export as PNG (with alpha) sequence, but you could export as photoshop files to go back and refine any frames later if needed.

A warning... it's VERY slow - about 6 seconds per frame (at 4K), so definitely one to leave running over night!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's been my last resort for awful green screen lighting twice. Create an Action in Photoshop and batch away.

Wim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread resurfaced by another post.  I'm intrigued by your solution - given that it's two years later, is the Photosohop "batch select subject" option still your preferred solution over rotobrush, mask tracking etc...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I really dislike replies that belittle the question poster . There are a bunch of "community professionals" that do this. It is reasonable to ask whether there is a process in After Effects similar to one that exists in Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. There is no feature in AE that corresonds to the Select Subject function in Photoshop.

If you shot a subject in front of a solid color screen like a blue screen or a blue screen you can use a keying effect like Keylight. 

One way to speed up your workflow in Photoshop would be to open your video as a video layer in your psd and then you can use the select subject command without having to make layers. But you will still hav eto do it frame by frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines