Highlighted

Illustrator files importing at 10% size

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have AI files where both layer content and artboards are 1920x1080. But when I import them into After Effects both comps and footage come in as 192x108px documents. I have done this type of importing for years and I've never seen or heard of this. Each Illustrator file I import was previously exported from a master AI with numerous artboards. The outputted AI files that I'm importing only have 1 artboard each.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

You may have found a bug. When I tried to save your AI file to Legacy AI I got this warning:

Screenshot_2020-09-27 14.14.45_PIDv37.png

Somewhere hidden in the file is the large size canvas info so when you saved the original artwork using each artboard as a separate canvas you got exactly what the warning is talking about. 

I would have to do some more testing, but the only way I can get your sample file to import correctly is to start a new AI document, then copy and paste or drag all of the artwork into the new document.

TOPICS
Error or problem, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Illustrator files importing at 10% size

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have AI files where both layer content and artboards are 1920x1080. But when I import them into After Effects both comps and footage come in as 192x108px documents. I have done this type of importing for years and I've never seen or heard of this. Each Illustrator file I import was previously exported from a master AI with numerous artboards. The outputted AI files that I'm importing only have 1 artboard each.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Rick Gerard | Adobe Community Professional

You may have found a bug. When I tried to save your AI file to Legacy AI I got this warning:

Somewhere hidden in the file is the large size canvas info so when you saved the original artwork using each artboard as a separate canvas you got exactly what the warning is talking about. 

I would have to do some more testing, but the only way I can get your sample file to import correctly is to start a new AI document, then copy and paste or drag all of the artwork into the new document.

TOPICS
Error or problem, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-check the document settings and Artboard size in AI. It should be 1920 X 1080 Points or Pixels.

I'm not seeing any problems on my end. OSX, latest builds of AE 2019 and 2020. Can you share a sample file? Here's one that I just made: AI Test 2.AI

It works perfectly.

Screenshot_2020-09-27 13.28.54_0j1T3w.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick I've renamed and linked a sample file. The files I've been working with are using pixel units. I tried both AE2019 and 2020 on both OSX and Windows, same issue. My workaround for now is creating a new AI file and pasting the contents in. Seems to work. I wonder if there's some weird setting that happened when I exported the multi artboard AI file into a series of individual AI files...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha, nice find it illustrates exactly what's happening. Thanks for troubleshooting this!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 0