• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import from Blender

Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to import Blender models/obj files into AE without using Element3D? Apparently there used to be an AE import-export add-on for Blender, but it's not available in 2.83.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OBJ files can only be read and rendered in a 3D app. After Effects is not. You'll need to use C4D lite, Element 3D, or another third party 3D plug-in that supports that file type. There is no such thing that I know of that will allow you to drop an OBJ file in an AE timeline and have it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. I actually like Element 3D a lot, but unfortunately I have a 4k monitor and I can't read the fonts, which makes it difficult to learn. From what I can tell on Video Copilot's forum, this has been on on-going issue for several years.  There was a solution posted that involved changing the compatibility settings for AfterFX.exe, but that created problems of its own that I'm still recovering from. I'll give C4D lite a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run 2 5K monitors on my desktop solution, but there are options available that make the UI more readable. Explore these for your system. If needed, at the click of a button I can make my 5K monitor look like it is 1920 wide and that makes everything in AE or any of the 3rd party effects more than readable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you would care to elaborate, that would be great. But, in any case, I've been playing with importing Blender object files into Element 3D and it seems pretty easy and intuitive. I think I can live with it. I think this is going to be fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The import/ export script didn't handle any geometry, it just creates Null objects, camera, lights and all that - like pretty much any such script or export functions in any 3D program. AE itself has no native 3D geometry rendering.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to know. Thank you Mylenium.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines