• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mask Border creates Annoying White Lines

Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I create a mask in After Effects, it generates a thin white line where my mask border occured in preview. It also shows up in the renders. This is at full size render. How do I remove this line? mask_error.jpg

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Solved it! 

The issue is that including the mask in the same layer as the difference matte was causing too many clashing calculations. The solution is to duplicate the layer that needs masking, apply difference matte to one and all other masks to the other. 
Layer it so that the difference matte is above the masks and using the Track Matte on the masking layer, apply it as an Alpha Matte. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing as I have a large sequence of images. Painting the problem is not a solution. If I recall correctly, it has something to do with premultiply mattes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without anyy information about the actual source files nobody can tell you much, but from personal experience - and you're not going to like the answer - your files are not prepared correctly. The black likely isn't actually black but rather a very dark grey and thus not 100% transparent. Happens all the time when you're not careful in photoshop. So the answer to your problem probably is to go back to PS and correct the issue rather than anything wrong with AE.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The source files are JPEGs which are just compressed from the RAW images. This attached image is a mask generated from a difference matte. Those white lines comes from further refining the mask generated by the difference matte. This is all created from 2 layers. The one screen capped below. And a clean plate. 

It's an aliasing error caused by premultiplication and I genuinely have no clue how to get rid of it as I'm trying to render out the mask image sequence. So these mask border lines are showing up in my image sequence renders. 

error.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try adding the effect "Simple Choker," set to 1 pixel. Should clean this right up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the effect I was looking for. Thanks you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! This solved the issue I got about the faint border of the mask!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved it! 

The issue is that including the mask in the same layer as the difference matte was causing too many clashing calculations. The solution is to duplicate the layer that needs masking, apply difference matte to one and all other masks to the other. 
Layer it so that the difference matte is above the masks and using the Track Matte on the masking layer, apply it as an Alpha Matte. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @tishurak56302587 ,
can you share your setting(screenshots) of your Composition Panel?
I have same issue with a vector mask.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines