• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maxon Cinema 4D Force Install - EGAD! I've Been Hacked!!!

Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my reaction this morning, when I saw the entries in my "Recently Added" list:

- Team Render Client 22

- Team Render Server 22

- Maxon Cinema 4D 22

- Commandline 22

WTFork
?!?! 

So I Googled, and learned, first, that "Team Render" is all about adding my Computer to a Render Farm!?!  Wait, WHAT?!?!  Then further pawing through the search results revealed the connection to Adobe and ultimately to After Effects.  Whew [I guess]!?

Further frustration and incredulity when opening Maxon Cinema 4D, only to be confronted with a Second Party authentication layer!?!?  Why isn't it an Adobe Cloud authentication?!?  You mean I have to establish an account with Maxon, to use an Adobe product?!?

Again, WTFallacy!!

So, now I'm faced with a dilemma. I want to find out if this “Render Farm” thing is Opt-In, or is my PC going to, now, be thrust into render-service, by default?!? And, if so, how “nice” will it be? I mean, I already use my PC for CPU/GPU intensive things. Is this going to compete in a resource wrenching way?!? Inquiring computer geeks what to know!  The dilemma?  That I have to establish a Maxon presence just to find out if Maxon has established a de facto presence on my PC!

I’ll probably just uninstall After Effects, since I only installed it to play with it, and discover that I can use it for. But, I’ve got a ponderous list of other things to do, so that was a rainy-day thing.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cinema 4D is integrated into After Effects and Cinema 4D Lite is included for full functionality.  It's not shareware, malware, bloatware, nor adware.  And it's definitely not Maxon taking over your computer.  It's a fully functional version licensed for use with After Effects.  It's well documented in the user manual, including instructions on how to remove it if you'd like to do so (of course, you're limiting what AE can do if you uninstall it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me, but I also find your communication in this matter highly irritating. It is not acceptable that you do not actively and clearly disseminate this information.

You cannot assume that your users will consult an Adobe user manual on this if programs with no recognizable relation to Adobe appear among the newly installed programs - and not every Adobe Cloud customer primarily uses After Effects, relevant here, and is already informed about the context.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than the user documentation, how would you like to learn about what is or is not included with Adobe software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I think it is well established within the software industry to include a warning on installation about 3rd party software and give users an opt in/out during installation. At least, that's what reputable firms do. 

I also find it highly odd that organisations with a near monopoly in software need to have unpaid users who are not employed by said firm to provide support on their software and yet defend their actions with a somewhat militant perspective rather than said firm aknowledging and dealing with the cause for complaint. 

Your response handily evades the question of whether this is potentially adding a backdoor for the users computer to be pooled into a server farm. Is it, or is it not allowing my machine to be pooled hardware without my explicit consent to do so? 

Seeing as Microsoft see it fit to make my machine part of a distribution network for their software updates, it seems entirely possible that Adobe may be trying to do the same thing, and given the legal and financial implications of the installation of 3rd party software the lack of notification could give rise to serious legal issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also personally find it very annoying, when community volunteers talk down to people with legitimate concerns and try to effectively bully them into shutting up. 

As the managing director of my organisation I dont have time to read the user manual for every piece of software that I use, and I find a condescending response to people effectively saying that they are incompetent because of having real security and performance concerns is not helpful and honestly why are you bothering other than to feather your own ego?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy, I am confused.

You're concerned about security and performance, but don't have time to learn about the software that you're using?

If you've discovered some security issue that needs attention, please point it out.  Everyone would benefit from that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warren, does this software enable any pooling of our machines recources into a render farm other than one we setup ourselves? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, the installer could include the information that's also in the user manual.

Please submit this to the Adobe User Voice page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I'm with you Martin same surprise. Spend too much money w/adobe to have to deal with applications installed covertly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not much for reading the user manual, eh?

Or knowing the history of the software that you're using.

New users are always welcome, but there's only so much community volunteers can do to share what's what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope not when I have never used the software or know IF I'm even going to use it. Last thing I need is an application from Adobe installing undisclosed software that is not Adobe's. If you read the user manuals for sofware you are not using then you have more time than I. Congrats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you usually install software without knowing anything about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all the time, particularly if I already own/license it! … often just to see if will satisfy a need. I have VMs set aside specifically to install and test software from lesser know (sometimes less reputable) companies for the same reason. Would never have thought I had to treat Adobe as one of them. You don’t work in IT do you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry, there are plenty of experienced users to help you get up to speed at no cost to you.

For what it's worth, junior IT staff working in video and audio post would be expected to know how to configure After Effects, including the 3D integration.  Specific settings might be on-the-job learning, but certainly not what's what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'll take that as a no. 
For what it's worth its standard practice in an IT department to install "unknown" software for testing and evaluation in a test enviroment. Again, just never have thought I have to treat Adobe as "unknown".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's head off another surprise here: After Effects, Cinema 4D, Premiere Pro, Media Encoder, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Animate, etc do not run well on virtual machines.  They need to be tested on real hardware.  The common practice in broadcast is to thoroughly test a workststion (or any candidates for use as a workstation) before rolling out updates and/or new software.  The same goes for academic lab environments.

(I have worked in each.)

Do you really want to stick with not reading the user manual as a good practice?  

Come on.  You know better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you read user manuals for products you don't use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CINEMA 4D and Cineware
Use this document to learn about CINEMA 4D and Cineware

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/after-effects/user-guide.html/in/after-effects/using/c4d.ug.html

This page includes a section called "Uninstall Cinema 4D Lite S22".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and did you install a product you don't use??, really if you're a motion graphic designer you will thank adobe for this integration and the ability to use the C4D files inside AE, and as Warren says, you can simply uninstall the C4D light if you don't need it. finally, if you want you can ask adobe to make installing the C4d light optional, post your idea here https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL...your responses are funny.   It's no secret that AE comes with C4D lite.  You regurlay install software to see if it's of any use to you?   LOL...  you're hilarious/

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of what you have listed is a threat to you or your computer.

Maybe Adobe should go back to the Standard version of After Effects and the Professional version.

Personally, I am happy that that went away more than a decade ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right on, Warren. You provided excellent service and tried your best to explain basic concepts and procedures to extremely ignorant individuals that can't seem to grasp the simplest of ideas. It was painful reading through the thread, but it was very helpful nonetheless. Thank you for your time and dedication. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the most absurdly frustrating threads I've ever read.  You're a good man for entertaining them as long as you did.  Y

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably a frustrating thread because of a choice by yourselves very early on to criticise people for installing software before reading the whole user manual cover to cover as if we are being handed out this great tool by the kind hearted charity of the saint of adobes goodwill and we're too much of a bunch of feckless dossers to appreciate it. 

Martin was absolutely right in saying we shouldn't be expected to read the entire user manual for every piece of software before installation, which is absurd, I was right in saying it is standard practice to include a warning in the installer, and yes it is a legitimate legal/security concern because various legislations might force companies in certain sectors to vet maxon prior to installation. 

So all in all, your repeated assertions that we are somhow morons for not gleefully lapping up your schtick and comparing us to the office intern in an attempt to belittle people just underlines why I am going to f&ck adobe right off and go to some of their competitors who likely can afford to actually pay for some genial customer support staff and whose manuals I will probably choose not to read, as is my perogative. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines