• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing default materials from element 3d

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm following a YouTube tutorial on texturing 3d layers and camera movements, and i'm needing a default material that I do not have.. the material is 'illumination' however it's not showing up in my materials it just says 'folder is empty' if someone has a fix or could help, please reach out thanks! - Destopiia

halp.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

OK I felt a little bad about my first post so here's my 2nd attempt.

Your "default" materials are in the folder that says Physical.  You have to click on it to see it.

The "illumination" you speak of is not a material. It's a attribute of the physical material and requires a "texture".

Yes...there is a difference between materials and textures. Textures are usually 2D "maps" applied to materials.

For example: diffuse maps, gloss maps, reflection maps, etc...  & illumination maps

Back to the quality o

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not familiar with folder hierarchies? That materials folder contains two folders.  I wonder what's in those folders?

Also, based on your question...you might want to find a better tutorial.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those hierarchies are plugins, not default materials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I felt a little bad about my first post so here's my 2nd attempt.

Your "default" materials are in the folder that says Physical.  You have to click on it to see it.

The "illumination" you speak of is not a material. It's a attribute of the physical material and requires a "texture".

Yes...there is a difference between materials and textures. Textures are usually 2D "maps" applied to materials.

For example: diffuse maps, gloss maps, reflection maps, etc...  & illumination maps

Back to the quality of the tutorial you're following:  Either it's a bad tutorial that fails to "tutor" you effectively, or it's too advanced for

your level of knowledge.

Bottom line...your default materials are NOT missing.  And Illumination is a "property" of that yellow material you are using and it requires

a texture.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More importantly, did you follow the Element 3D installation instructions carefully? If you have any of the packs that come with it it's easy to foul up that part if the installation. Also, Element is its own environment that runs inside AE. You need to spend some serious time with the tutorials on the Video Copilot site to learn how to use it. I would be very wary warry of most of the YouTube tutorials by amateurs. Most of them don't know what they are doing and don't have good workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again thank you for your response. The tutorial is literally about an advanced element 3D intro tutorial and I'm following his every step, however he seems to just click on the 'materials' and up comes a bunch of materials one of them being 'illumination' once I'm up I'll be happy to attach tutorial and time. Thanks. - Destopiia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want access to a bunch of materials you have to install them somewhere. That's why I asked if you carefully followed the instructions. I have not watched the tutorial but if that part was left out of the instructions the tutorial is an example of why you need to vet your trainers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S.   If you think I am wrong then provide the link to the Youtube tutorial and the time of the video where the instructor has the illumination material in their material folder.  That would make it easier for someone with experience to see what the instructor is doing.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but you see my element 3d materials one doesnt have any folders 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude I feel bad how you are treated here, not only were they disrespectful but they didn't even answer your question or provide value. Let alone answer and I don't know how it got labeled as correct answer. I don't know if you had this solved but you're right. When you click the material folder is auto loads the presets of PRO SHADER which is the first plug-in released by VCP for Element 3D. Unfortunately it isn't free so you have to purchase that and you will get the cool shader like illuminated and glow. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just came back to edit my post. I made one mistake. The shaders do come with Element 3D pre installed. So they are free. There arte 20 of them, Pro Shaders is extra. So you might have to reinstall Element 3D

Here is a video of the creator himself,Andrew Kramer mentioning it. Sorry about that

http://www.videocopilot.net/help/element/tutorial/basic/pro_shaders_overview/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sir, are excellent. It is horrible to see the 'know-it-alls' rambling on and on, but I am glad there's actually people on here who educate and give answers instead of putting one down. 

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, not sure if youve found your answer yet but I had the exact same problem. What I did was move the Video Copilot folder in my aplications folder into my documents folder. If you go to Aplications,  Adobe After Effects (your version), pugins,  Video Copilot,  there should be a folder inside (Video Copilot) labbled Video Copilot. I moved this folder into my documents folder. If there is already a Video Copilot folder in you documents I would suggest replacing it with the new folder. I hope this helps for you 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines