PiPL "version mismatch"

Participant ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the following PiPL warning:

"Code version is 1.0 and PiPL version is 1.0. (80601)"

I can't make any sense of it. 

It occured after I set the folowing #defines. 

#define	MAJOR_VERSION	1
#define	MINOR_VERSION	0
#define	BUG_VERSION		0
#define	STAGE_VERSION	PF_Stage_RELEASE
#define	BUILD_VERSION	1

I presume these settings imply "Myplugin v1.0R". 

I have tried playing with my PiPL.r file, but nothing seems to make any difference. 

What are the correct settings? And does it matter if I just release the plugin as a development version, with the same version numbers each time? 

A simple solution that I have been using for years is to automatically set the version value in the EffectPiPL.r file based on the value in the code. Just set it in the .r file like this and include in the .r file a .h header where you define the version, and include this header also in your main code (code can of course also be adapted to include stage):

AE_Effect_Version {
(MAJOR_VERSION << 19) + (MINOR_VERSION << 15) + (BUG_VERSION << 11) + BUILD_VERSION
},

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PiPL "version mismatch"

Participant ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the following PiPL warning:

"Code version is 1.0 and PiPL version is 1.0. (80601)"

I can't make any sense of it. 

It occured after I set the folowing #defines. 

#define	MAJOR_VERSION	1
#define	MINOR_VERSION	0
#define	BUG_VERSION		0
#define	STAGE_VERSION	PF_Stage_RELEASE
#define	BUILD_VERSION	1

I presume these settings imply "Myplugin v1.0R". 

I have tried playing with my PiPL.r file, but nothing seems to make any difference. 

What are the correct settings? And does it matter if I just release the plugin as a development version, with the same version numbers each time? 

A simple solution that I have been using for years is to automatically set the version value in the EffectPiPL.r file based on the value in the code. Just set it in the .r file like this and include in the .r file a .h header where you define the version, and include this header also in your main code (code can of course also be adapted to include stage):

AE_Effect_Version {
(MAJOR_VERSION << 19) + (MINOR_VERSION << 15) + (BUG_VERSION << 11) + BUILD_VERSION
},

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 03, 2020 0
Participant ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what changing the stage version does, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can answer that.

If you change the version here, you should also change the version in the PIPL to match. Also, you may need to rebuild your entire solution since the compiler may just keep the old compiled PIPL instead of compiling the new changes, in which case you'll still get the same error even if the versions match in your project file. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2020 1
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, James. 

It's one of those documentation blackholes that now exist because of the thousands of useful posts in the forum being deleted. 

In the end, I found the answer on a Russian blog, which thanks to Google translate, I discovered:

/*
The formula for calculating the AE_Effect_Version field in the PiPL resource of the plugin:
AE_Effect_Version = MAJOR_VERSION * 524288 +
MINOR_VERSION * 32768 +
BUG_VERSION * 2048 +
STAGE_VERSION * 512 +
BUILD_VERSION [enum value]
*/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE_Effect_Version {
},

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2020 1