Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PP Adjustment Layers to AE Dynamic Link

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

When I port my composition including some transitions and adjustments into AE from Premiere all the transitions are ignored.. Tried  enabling Collapse Transformations but still nothing. Even tried nesting before coming into AE..

Any tip on how to get it to work or should I not add these adjustments/transitions in PP and dynamic link into AE?

Thanks,

TOPICS
Dynamic link , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. You should not add any such stuff prematurely. It's simply not supported. That's the old gag of a "rough cut" vs. a "final edit". Only define the timing in PP, then do your post work in AE and only then finish and polisch your cut with the processed files.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After Effects is NOT a video editing app. Bringing in more than two or three shots from Premiere Pro using Dynamic Link so you can do something to the shots in the sequence is almost always a really inefficient workflow and a really bad idea. There was a time when you needed to open up an entire Premiere Pro sequence to use tools like Magic Bullet to do color correction on a granular level, but that is no longer the case. More than 90% of my comps are one shot from a Premiere Pro sequence, under seven seconds, and that shot needs something done that I cannot do in Premiere Pro. On rare occasions, I will put together a short sequence in a single After Effects composition that is one sentence or one phrase long or maybe 4 bars of music. On even rarer occasions I will sequence a few AE comps in a new master comp so I can do a little simple editing, but I never edit a movie in After Effects. The biggest reason for not trying to use After Effects as a video editor: Changes in the timeline are incredibly difficult to handle as soon as you get more than a dozen layers. The second biggest reason that I don't edit long sequences in After Effects: Rendering is slower in AE than it is in Premiere Pro and the chance of a render failure is much higher. The last reason I don't import complete Premiere Pro sequences into AE for final editing: Most effects, all transitions, all advanced audio processing, and a bunch of other things are not supported so they all have to be redone in AE.

Using After Effects to edit a movie is a lot like trying to drive nails with a screwdriver. You might eventually get the job done but you're going to be very tired and it's still going to take a lot of sanding to fix all the nicks in the work caused by using the wrong tool for the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines