• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotation sensitivity is after effect is annoying ??

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rotation sensitivity is after effect is annoying ??

while i try to use rotation tool to rotate anything i think it have to rotate by small increments in my case it is so fast you can see the problem in that video please help

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Hi all,

This bug is Windows-only and should be fixed in After Effects 17.1.4.

If you're still hitting this bug in 17.1.4, please let me know.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't normal!

What is your input device?

Did a restart if the computer helped?

Drivers up to date? 

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks to me like you are clicking right near the anchor point before you start dragging. 

For precise control select the layer in the timeline, press r, select the rotation property value you want to adjust, hold down the Ctrl/Cmnd key, and drag on the values. This gives you 10X finer control over any property in the timeline. 

If you want to use the rotate tool (w) click on one of the corners of the layer to get the tool as far away as you can from the anchor point. This will give you more control. If you are manipulating a 3D layer the top and bottom center of a 3D layer will lock you to x-axis rotation, any corner will lock you to z, and the left and right center will lock you to y. This makes using the tool much easier.

The Rotation tool can be pretty jerky, but holding down the Alt/Option key while dragging will interrupt preview and give you a wireframe that responds better with most systems. 

I hope this helps. I spent years trying to grab the axis on the 3D cursor before I realized that the corners and the middle layer markers gave me a much easier way to find the axis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used the rotation tool in 20 years of AE. There you have it - simply use the property and scrub the actual rotation value. It's much more precise.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion to not use a useful tool in After Effects.

I have been using After effects since 2003, and for the last 12 years of that time I use it almost everyday. This functionality is really useful when designing. You hit 'w' and rotate without needing to look away from the comp window - in 2d no need to click the axis - just the image - it keeps you in flow longer without breaking away from the visual. To hit 'R' and then have to look down to find the rotational value to slide or worst and slower click and type values -  then look back at the comp. Much better to use the AE shotcut 'w' and rotate without looking away from the design. Works really well (when its not buggy as the op mentioned)   -  I think you can even hold alt to get into pressision mode. 

Its really easy to jump on here and give a really unhelpful advice based on your basic usage of AE. It could make the op slightly hesitant about flaggin up a problem - or asking a valid question on here. 

If you've not used the 'w' funciotn in 20 years then I'd suggest giving it a try. 

Theres alot of people giving comments like this and its really unhelpful. It makes this place hostile. 

Anybody experiencing this same problem with 'w' in comp rotate function?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Anybody experiencing this same problem with 'w' in comp rotate function?

It was a bug. That bug is fixed in the 17.1.4 update (and in the public beta).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly same problem here !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suggested above, this has to do with your input device.

Try pressing R to show rotation and then change the Rotation value numerically.  Try nuding instead of a click and drag.  That is, click the Rotation value such that it activates the text filed and then use up arrow, down arrow, shift up arrow and shift down arrow.

Or, while the later is selected, use the "+" and "-" key on the numberic keypad.  Add shift for 10 unit increments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R U teaching me??? i know how to rotate! Tnx! 

it is a bug in 17.1.3.40

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little courtesy goes a long way in the user forums.

Best of luck figuring out your input device problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion. But this has nothing to do with the input device. Its the same with a Wacom and also a mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bug. It's nothing to do with input device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its definately a bug. I find it really frustrating when people tell you not to do something because they dont use it. 

Its like - ~Don't use that functionality, I dont. so therefore its not a problem.

It is a problem and its really annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue... I can't believe the answers here.... Are you guys kidding me? We know that we can rotate with the rotation value... But that's not a solution. Is at least a plan B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol yeah.

What's with all the dismissive and condescending replies?

I've noticed a couple of these "Adobe Community Professionals" consistently give the most unhelpful and condescending answers.

It's not an input device problem it's an AE bug.

User:
"This feature is now broken" (showing video of feature OBVIOUSLY not working as it should)

Adobe Community Professional 1:

"ur doing it wrong"

Adobe Community Professional 2:

"Well I've never used this feature, use another way of doing it"

Adobe Community Professional 3:

"Yeah you're not getting any help from me and I'm actually just going to pretend the problem doesn't exist because you weren't "courteous".

WTF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed man. I wonder if any of them bothered to try replicating the issue themselves 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, discretegames, but I am not able to reproduce this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not believe it, Snakedogman, but a little courtesy in the Adobe Community Forums really does go a long way.

For what it is or is not worth, I am not experiencing this issue currently nor have I ever.  And thank goodness for that.  It seems like it must be really frustrating for those not willing to try alternatives until a solution presents itself - be it a bug fix or otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue in 17.1.3. It's surely a bug in After Effects. A few days ago my rotation tool was working fine.

Nothing has changed with my input devices. I have tried multiple mice and restarting.

Telling us different ways to rotate is not a solution.

Here's another video. Moving the cursor a couple pixels rotates the object hundrends of times when normally it would do a few degrees: 

I think the only "solution" for now is to go back to 17.1.2. Works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And please send a bug report:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone made it: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/41225005-rotation-tool-see...

Though man that bug report site is a pain to use. It took like 3 attempts before it let me log in and I keep trying to leave comments on the issue but they're gone when I reload. Do I not have permission or what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AM FACING SAME PROBLEM. I THOUGHT I WILL FIND THE ANSWER HERE. BUT HERE EVERYONE IS TEACHING HOW TO ROTATE. I AM GOING BACK FOR 17.1.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've notified the After Effects team about this. Thanks for reporting!

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me too. Input device is not the problem, since I tried several, from Wacom to different branded mouses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines