• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Starting with 3D files - obj importing

Participant ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I want to start with 3D animations. Many times I am using Adobe Dimmension to create product scenes. Sometimes I need to create also short promo video. So I need to import OBJ files made in Dimension, and animate it in After Effect (just simple rotating, light effects etc.). Do I have to buy extra plugin for AE to do it like "Elemend 3D"?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

I'm not sure that Dimension can export obj files but let say that you have obj file from some other place. To use it in AE you can use one of several 3rd party plugins as mentioned by you Element 3D (or Plexus, Particular, Stardust that aso have obj import ability - but not exactly for full 3d modeling). Or you can use built in Cinema 4D lite and Cineware plugin (also built) that is installed with your AE.
Here some learning materials for that: See what’s possible with Cinema 4D Lite |

Create Cinema 4D and Cineware files in After Effects

Insert 3D objects into your compositions |

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure that Dimension can export obj files but let say that you have obj file from some other place. To use it in AE you can use one of several 3rd party plugins as mentioned by you Element 3D (or Plexus, Particular, Stardust that aso have obj import ability - but not exactly for full 3d modeling). Or you can use built in Cinema 4D lite and Cineware plugin (also built) that is installed with your AE.
Here some learning materials for that: See what’s possible with Cinema 4D Lite |

Create Cinema 4D and Cineware files in After Effects

Insert 3D objects into your compositions |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply. You are right, Dimension will not let me to export obj but it is not a problem, I can use models from Adobe Stock for example. I will try with Cinema 4D if not I will buy Element 3D (looks powerfull)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all depends what exactly you need to do with those models. For most simple animations C4D Lite should be enough for you so as it is free - start with that, look on some tutorials and you will see where you can get with it.
If you have any more questions - you know where to find me and our community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following the conversation...

I'd like to import 3d models from SolidWorks into AfterEffect or at least Premiere. What i have to do with these models is to make product video using a 3d object instead of a 2d image.

Is this possible? I have to use some plugin?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you elaborate on the AE plugins that allow importing of Dimension files with textures into After Effects? I know you listed several, but how is it actually done.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines