• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tips & Tricks; How to make Metallic 3D Text - No Plugin Required.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a tutorial to help someone who needs it.
Please check the contents of my tutorial.

Please tell me if there is anything strange.

After Effects - CINEMA4D Renderer

No Plugin Required

And you can choose English subtitles.

And I do not speak English well for reference.^^;;

TOPICS
FAQ , How to , Performance , Resources , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workflow is fairly well explained. Background music in tutorials is usually distracting, I would get rid of it.

It might be more helpful if you use multiple views to show how to arrange lights and position and animate the camera. That's a lot more efficient and easier to manage.

You might also want to use the keyboard shortcuts and explain how to use them. For example, material options on the text layer are available by hitting the hotkey for Anchor Point ('a' on an English Keyboard) twice. It would also be useful to show how the search bar works in the Timeline. 

The use of 4 Parallel lights is a very odd workflow. It would be a lot more efficient to use one parallel or one spotlight and some ambient light. Not only will it render faster, but it is a lot easier to set up reflections and highlights.

I would also show the Options for the C4D rendering engine and explain that previews and setup will be a lot faster if you drag the quality down to 1 and set the comp to Fast Draft while you are setting up the scene. There will be almost no delay in manipulating controls with most systems.

Your Reflection comp could have been created with one shape layer with multiple rectangles + the effects, and that would also render faster and be easier to manipulate later.

I would also use 4 views to animate the camera position because it is much easier to edit the curves in the motion paths if you can see all 4 views, are showing all keyframes, and use the Pen tool. 

All in all, it's a pretty good tutorial. 

You might want to consider doing a tutorial where you set up a standard 3D text layer, ambient light, and maybe a point light and a spotlight, add a Camera, then export the AEP as a Maxon C4D file. You can then bring the C4D file into After Effects and, then open up C4D lite and have a lot more options for extruding, animating, texturing, creating reflections, and environment maps than you would have in AE using the C4d rendering engine. You can then set up C4D to use AE's Centered comp camera and do all kinds of camera moves very quickly in AE. The final render will also take less time and it will work better in the Adobe Media Encoder than a comp sent directly to the AME from After Effects.

You might want to download this comp. One camera with 2 position keyframes, Two lights, One Text layer, One solid only the Fractal Noise Effect, and a few adjustments and you have 3D Metalic Text. A really great tutorial simplifies everything first, then if needed shows how you can add more features. Most of your time should be spent explaining how Environment layers work and what kind of things can be used as sources. Then spend some time explaining the material options in a 3D layer and how they change the picture. That would turn your pretty good tutorial into an excellent one. Note the curved motion path for the camera. 4 Views is a lot easier way to set up a camera move.

Screenshot_2020-07-31 16.53.14_b7qBYU.png

If you download the AEP file be sure to check out the options settings for the C4D rendering engine.

Screenshot_2020-07-31 17.08.04_IofDt9.png

Down on 3, you should be able to quickly move around in the comp and make adjustments without any delay. Set the options up to 30 or 40 for final checks and then maybe up to 60 for the final render. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your sincere answer.
It was very helpful.

I still don't seem to have a good understanding of Light.
And In the AEP you made, if it apply for Layer fractal noise, The texture I wanted to express doesn't come out
I think the texture in the tutor will be easy to modify to match the each font.

Sincerely thank you again for your answer.
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually use spherical images for environment maps, and I usually work in C4D Lite. I just used fractal noise because it was easy to generate kind of a cloudy sky environment. The best environment maps look like this:

Screenshot_2020-08-01 01.42.51_2aO8qu.png

I use my GoPro Fusion 360 camera to create them all the time. There are a ton of them available on the internet for free. Here's what that Environment layer creates.

Screenshot_2020-08-01 01.48.04_0dW6fh.png

The environment map you created with a pre-comp could have been done with a single white solid and a bunch of masks with Blur, Glow, and motion tile. There was no need for multiple layers and a pre-comp. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer

The first goal is to create this tutorial using only After Effects.
And Glow was not used.
Motion tiles do not have to be used.
However, if you adjust the with and height in the Motion Tile effect, you can see the reflection part changes.
You can choose what you want according to the font size and shape.

Thank you.

2 Cut_00092.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are also some transform controls that can be used for the Environment layer. You should play with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines