• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trim Paths end cap customisation

Contributor ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help? I would like to adjust the end cap on my stroke when using 'trim paths' on a shape layer. The three built-in options are great for simple uses, but I really need to customise them for a current project.  Or else, maybe someone could suggest a better technique?

I am using trim paths on a shape layer to reveal the layer below, using a track matte. This is something that I do for the majority of my clients, so the basic technique is down pat. However, the current project is slightly different and requires, literally, broad brush strokes, to give the effect of rough paint layers being applied in wide strokes. The end cap options rather let the rest of the effect down.

I have approximated a solution by applying 'roughen edges' to the shape layer and I could always add some distortion too, but it seems a shame not to be able to just adjust the cap itself and I would much rather not distort the original, client-supplied artwork.  I am sure that After Effects can cope with this, but I really do need help in finding out how (I am no expressions wiz, but I am good at copy, paste and adjust).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Very best,

Dominic 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Nothing to do with expressions. Simply cops & paste the path to whatever you want to use as a cap as a motion path, enable auto-orient to path, adjust the timing, combine with teh stroke in a pre-comp if need be. Anything else would be insanity. Sure, it's possible to reconstruct the whole Bezièr logic and access paths with expressions, but why even bother, when there's more efficient techniques, even more so since expressions inevitably slow down the project more than even a hundred custom matt

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing to do with expressions. Simply cops & paste the path to whatever you want to use as a cap as a motion path, enable auto-orient to path, adjust the timing, combine with teh stroke in a pre-comp if need be. Anything else would be insanity. Sure, it's possible to reconstruct the whole Bezièr logic and access paths with expressions, but why even bother, when there's more efficient techniques, even more so since expressions inevitably slow down the project more than even a hundred custom mattes?!

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I think that's the way ahead. Thanks very much for taking the time.

I think I will make a product suggestion that strokes have a customised end cap option, though. That would certainly be the best solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines