• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I see anything in my composition window?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2011 Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have created a composition, then for some reason I cannot see anything in my composition window. It is just BLACK.

When I first started following the instructions, from youtube, on how to create muzzle flashes, I could see my muzzleflash on top my chosen image in the

composition window. For some reason now it just shows black. Maybe I have changed some setting. I have tried to reinstall AE, but that did not help either.

HELP any advice?

PS Im a complete novice, so straight forward simple advice will be well received.

TOPICS
Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Jun 28, 2011 Jun 28, 2011

You switched your Composition panel to Wireframe view mode. Don't do that. See this page for information about view modes.

> So what I had done before writing on this forum was to try and follow the absolute first tutorial that Adobe provides. Exactly for the reason that I could learn it slowly and properly, as you point out. BUT what does one do when almost from the beginning you see that the guy doing the tutorial can see his picture of the faucet on his Composition Window and I cannot? It

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 27, 2015 Oct 27, 2015

Maybe a few years too late for your problem, buuut... here's what I did to solve this same issue, after trying everyone else's suggestions.

Look at where the playhead is. In my case it was way off somewhere on another part of the timeline, so the composition that I was trying to edit was not visible because it wasn't active at that particular point in the timeline. With the composition open, I just clicked on the Time Ruler at the top of the Timeline and voila, the composition appeared.

Dumb, mayb

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, maybe someone's still struggling, like me. Actually I tried everything, and nothing helped. To be clear: I tried everything in AE, but the Adobe Illustrator was the key problem here. I made a new workspace to create second text and Ctrl+S updated this in the AE immediately. So if you copied the text somewhere (I recommend to do every single graphics in new project in AI), then delete this workspace you made in original vector project. (or click Ctrl Z multiple times). It actually worked. I am glad to help anybody who still pull his hair out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's 9 years later since your original post but I've just experienced the same issue so I just would like to share.

By reading all the comments I can see there are different reasons that lead to a composition not showing up. In my case it was because I somehow, accidentally set the composition's preview time to negative. Instead of putting 0:00:10:10, I put -0:00:10:11. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why This is happening? Please give me a solution.Why This is happening? Please give me a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ItsMeSdeep,

I'm not sure what "this" is.

What are you referring to? Can you please elaborate?

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after effects compositing preview is black

compositing preview is blackcompositing preview is black

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

howdy -- 10 yrs later-- if you've see. little dot in one of your layer in the left part of your timeline (near all the eyeballs) unclick it. i read all these comments and nothing worked until i tried this in desparation and all my stuff came back (thank god!). i had accidentally clicked a shortcut key (i have no idea which key) and it turned this 'black screen on'. it was a brief nightmare.. but this was my eventual fix. hope this helps someone else! (maybe) if all the other stuff above fails. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines