Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wiggle rotation not following anchor point

Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to apply a Wiggle - Rotation effect to an Illustrator asset layer. However, if I do so, my layer will wiggle all over the place in stead of rotating around it's anchoir point (which I've placed in the middle of the layer). The layer is not parented to anything nor does it have any childs that can interfere somehow. 

If I remember correctly from years ago when I used this effect, it is supposed to wiggle around its anchor point, right? So what am I doing wrong here?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Without specific info about your setup, a screenshot and the expression code nobody can tell you much. The most likely cause simply is that your AI file has invisible content which contributes ot its layer size bounding box, meaning wherever you placed the anchor point isn't really the center. Likewise, of course things like using continuous rasterization, 3D switches and effects would affect the outcome.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without specific info about your setup, a screenshot and the expression code nobody can tell you much. The most likely cause simply is that your AI file has invisible content which contributes ot its layer size bounding box, meaning wherever you placed the anchor point isn't really the center. Likewise, of course things like using continuous rasterization, 3D switches and effects would affect the outcome.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Of course, the answer is usually super simple.

It was the continuous rasterization. I had turned it on by default, and didn't think of it when applying the effect. When I turned it off, everything behaved as expected.

Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If wiggle is added to rotation then the rotation value will wiggle. If you add it to Anchor Point or Position then the layer will move around in X, Y, and Z if the layer is 3D.

Select your layer, press UU to reveal everything modified on the layer, Scrub through the layer and you should only see rotation values changing. If you do not see Position and Anchor point then the position is comp center and the anchor point is layer center. If you don't see either of them and the layer is not rotating the way you want it to then you'll need to move the anchor point.

If you can't figure it out embed a screenshot of the entire UI with the modified properties of the problem layer revealed. Use the Toolbar to embed the screenshot so we can see what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you applying something from the Effects and Presets panel? If so, it's probably not really what you want. Making your own wiggle expression on the rotation parameter is probably the best way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines