• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Don't know where else to ask...Bridge CS6 opens, but just spins. Can't access images to backup!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been moving image files to an external hard drive and burning to discs (to free up space and have backups) but now the program freezes up every time I open it.  I can't even click on folders to move them.  I've tried purging the Cache, but it doesn't seem like anything is happening after I click on it.  (I have my original disc but, I know, it's time to update to a supported product.)  Right now, I just need to know how to access my photos!  Any help is much appreciated.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your OS (and what release)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I overlooked the obvious and I was in a panic.  I don't have to have Bridge open to copy the files to my external drive.  I went to my computer/favorites/pictures and there I can pull files to copy.  Nothing more embarrassing than showing my inexperience to the Forum!  : )

Now I am still left with the problem of not being able to use Bridge...and thank you for responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary, I'm new to this forum and when I clicked "...More" it then marked your response as "Correct answer by gary_sc".  I went to bookmark this page and it says "Solved".  I evidently don't know how this works.  Can you still help me with my Bridge problem?  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS High Sierra, Version 10.13.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ML,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I was in a meeting all morning.

No problem about marking my question as correct, I've fixed that (you just click on the "Correct Answer" and that undoes it).

I do believe that Bridge CS6 "should" work with HIgh Sierra so that shouldn't be the problem

Thanks for purging the Cache that would have been one of my suggestions.

Now let's try rebuilding the Preferences. To do this, quit Bridge and then restart Bridge with your fingers on the Shift-Option-Command key. This should bring up a window that gives you the option to dump the Preferences and will then have to recreate them. 

BTW, here's a warning: it's great to move your files over to an external hard drive to make more room on your computer but that's half the work. You also MUST have a 2nd external drive to make a backup of your external drive. Here's a true story: a week ago I was working in LR when it suddenly crashed. Then a window popped up saying that the external drive that I have ALL of my photos on had self-ejected. I started it up again so it could boot into my system and it self-ejected again. To make a long story short, this drive of maybe 10-15 years had bit the dust. But this was an inconvenience, not a tragedy because I have a 2nd drive that I back up about once a week  or more often if I do a flurry of work. In essence, I didn't lose a thing. I bought a new drive, moved all of the files from my backup drive to the new primary drive and I'm back in business.

Also, while putting images on DVDs is good, it is NOT a long term solution as DVDs and CDs have a lifespan that can vary depending on the quality. So read the fine print on those things, do not buy them for this purpose based on price (alone).

There's also another issue with backups: your external drives mean nothing if the house burns down. So I also subscribe to a cloud service. Paranoid? No, just a realist knowing that stuff happens.

Anyhow, let's see how the rebuilding of prefs comes along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for being patient with a newbie.  You've made very good points!  I ordered another external hard drive today and have begun research on a cloud service.  Just started reading about Creative Cloud...I have an iMac late 2012 model, and Nikon equipment.  (Any thoughts?)  Most of my equipment is 8-14 yrs old, works very well but is aging.  (As am I!)

Tonight, right before reading your advice and before uninstalling/reinstalling Bridge, it occurred to me that when opening Bridge it consistently was "stuck" on one particular image file.  So, I deleted that one file folder and restarted...again...and I was blown away when I could click on folders in Bridge!!!  With that said, I take it as a huge warning to take the precautions you described.  Since Bridge is working again, would you still advise rebuilding the preferences?

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.  You have been a great help.  Excellent advise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ML,

It's never "bad" to redo the preferences but unless it's necessary (e.g., things are acting wrong or things are taking too much time, etc.) there's not much need to do that.

As far as cloud services, I can easily recommend "Backblaze." They have a yearly charge (I think now it's $60/year) and it sort of works like Apple's Time Machine where if you just need to download a few files, you can go into their website, find the file and download it. If you need more than what's comfortable to download, they'll send you a 128 GB flash drive for a nominal charge and if everything is gone (e.g., fire), they'll send you an 8 TB drive for a nominal charge and if you want you can keep the drive for extra money (but at a reasonable price). In my few dealings with them I've found them very transparent, very professional, and very competent. BTW, I received NO moneys for what I just said. 

Oh, and backing up folders from one drive to another, let me also recommend ChronoSync. I bought it many years ago and it's one of the very very few applications that just send updates, I've never had to pay a penny since I bought it. Among the excellent features that make it a pleasure to work with, they also do what's caused "Checksum." Like it sounds, it adds up the number of bits it's copying over and makes sure that the same number are copied. Not all software does that. 

Lastly, computers: yeah, 2012 is getting kinda gray in the hairs. I can't tell you specifically what model you should buy but I can point to certain features that are more important than others. And, since you're using Lightroom (and maybe Photoshop), I can't begin to emphasize that getting a computer with a powerful (and large) video ram is more important than the fastest processor. So if you have to save money in one way, go for a slower processor but the fastest and largest video card. Then there's ram. More is always better. Unfortunately Apple charges a premium for more ram so what I've done is to buy the least amount of ram I can and from 3rd parties get the ram that I want. (However, be aware that not every computer from Apple will let you get into the computer to install more ram.) The more applications you run at the same time, the more ram you need. Right this moment I'm running my email program, two browsers, FileMaker Pro, Word, Lightroom-Classic, Lightroom Desktop, MacDraft, Wacom driver, Slack, Calendar, Acrobat, HoudahSpot (ultimate search application), and a few other applications as well. I run with 32 GB of ram which is about the minimum for me. For more "normal" users, I think that 16 GB is the absolute minimum, especially since you're using Adobe image applications which need a lot of ram to function to their fullest capability.

Sorry for running on like this but I'm glad to support applications and companies who I think do wonderful work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, didn't see this!  Thank you for all your suggestions.  This is a wonderful forum to learn from others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your detailed response is MUCH appreciated!  I was feeling like a small fish in a huge ocean and you've helped point me in a direction that will help narrow my choices.  Now I'll leave you alone so you can help someone else! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gary, don't feel obligated to respond to my questions about cloud storage.  I realize that is an extensive subject and just mentioning it has moved me out of complacency and into research.

So, the only thing left is...should I go ahead and rebuild my Bridge preferences?  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines