• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Muse not running after Creative Cloud Desktop app update

Engaged ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the latest update to version 6.1.0.587 my copy of Adobe Muse will no longer open.

It partially loads, and then just closes.

In the Windows 10 logs I'm seeing -

Application: Muse.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 0000000000DEE917

Followed by -

Faulting application name: Muse.exe, version: 2018.1.1.6, time stamp: 0x5d3ed771
Faulting module name: Muse.exe, version: 2018.1.1.6, time stamp: 0x5d3ed771
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000060e917
Faulting process ID: 0x3150
Faulting application start time: 0x01da33a19cf3e497
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Muse CC 2018\Muse.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Muse CC 2018\Muse.exe
Report ID: 8266414e-2cfd-4801-b0e4-a5257678bd62
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Anyone any idea why this is happening?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Muse and that makes no difference.

This is a big problem as I need to update one of my Muse websites.

And please, DON'T just tell me that Muse is now unsupported and obsolete and I should be using something else, I'm well aware of that!

I have carried on using Muse until I can find something better, which I haven't yet, and it has always worked fine up until now.

I haven't knowingly made any changes which would prevent it from working, so why has it suddenly apparently failed?

Thanks, Dave.

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Engaged , Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Thanks very much for that!

I actually managed to get Muse to run late last night too, by forcibly closing down all the other Adobe programs running on my machine. You don't have to have the CC Desktop app running to use Muse of course, it runs just fine by itself.

It's not exactly ideal though.

I will try to open a support case with Adobe about this, now we know for sure that it's not a problem with Muse itself, but with the latest version of the CC Desktop app.

Cheers, Happy Christmas from me too,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

In my experience, one or two of the processes are quite stubborn, and keep on restarting again!

For anyone who doesn't know, you just right click on the processes in the Task Manager, and select 'end task'.

I also went into the Startup tab of Task Manager, and disabled all the Adobe processes from running at boot.

That helped a lot.

Bear in mind that you may well need some or all of them running if you have other Adobe CC apps installed, but I only have Muse, so that's not an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Dec 26, 2023 Dec 26, 2023

georhansc,

i found the following: Kudos to Adam Mehlhaff from the Adobe Muse Support forum on facebook. In fact, the method he suggested was the only one that worked besides other proposals and I was able to launch Muse, make changes to my pages and upload the updated pages. At first I was a bit skeptical as Adam is on WIN 11 and I am on WIN 10, but it worked perfectly. This is certainly not a permanent solution, but at least I was able to start Muse and make the urgent changes. How did I do? I w

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 285 Replies 285
Participant ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@natashax4  If it's just photo editing and composition you want (and don't need drawing and text tools), I recommend ON1 Photo RAW 2024 (https://www.on1.com/). I still need Photoshop's tools, but On1 is better for photo editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you say about Adobe Support.

The difficulty is getting them to understand that the problem is within the CC Desktop software, not within Muse!

Any software company is quite entitled to declare any of their software End of Life and Unsupported.
What they aren't entitled to do, unless with very good reason, such as a serious security flaw, is to deliberately disable that software from working, especially when they are still taking subscription money for it!

I still don't believe that is what Adobe have deliberately done.
What they've done is rolled out a new version of CC Desktop, with a change made to it which has prevented Muse from launching properly. They would not have tested it with Muse, as Muse is 'unsupported'. Now they have been made aware of the issue, I would expect them to test it with Muse, identify the problem, and fix it. If the problem can't be fixed, then I would expect a statement to that effect.

I only have Muse on my plan, as a single app subscription. If they still accept that, and allow you to download and install Muse from the CC Desktop app, I would certainly expect them to address the problem.
Muse does not need CC Desktop to run, so in my case if the next version does not fix the issue I fully intend to just remove it from my system completely.
The only use it has for me is for file syncing, and of course that is being removed now anyway!
That being the case, I don't need it, and as long as Muse will log onto my account by itself, that's the permanent fix as far as I'm concerned.
I do realise this doesn't help those with other CC apps, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DaveH5 

i don't think a muse only plan is available anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure you're right.

I had Muse as a single app subscription years ago, as I didn't need or want any of the other CC apps.

When Muse was 'retired' they allowed me to carry on with the subscription as it was.

I don't doubt that I'm one of the very few still in that position, but I hope I'm not unique!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clearly (from all the commenters here), you're not the only active muse user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clearly (from all the commenters here), you're not the only active muse user.

By @kglad

Indeed not, but I'd be interested to know if there are any others here who still have Muse on a single app subscription, with no other CC apps at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The beauty of Muse is that it is WYSIWYG and isn't target site specific, unlike the locked-in web site builders proprietary to wix, squarespace, etc. Otherwise it's back to Dreamweaver, Pinegrow and so on where you spend more time coding and a lot less designing. Another option is to get into Wordpress themes, which is another can of worms - before Muse I spent a lot of time flipping through wordpress theme catalogs to find something that might work without a lot of coding. Unfortunately Muse code is really difficult to work with in Dreamweaver and does not seem to export to much of anything - that is Adobe's fault for letting the Muse development team dissolve without any vision for future releases. Reminds me of the days when engineering would build something new and exotic then throw it over the cubicle wall and let marketing try to figure out how to actually sell it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@filmographie  Back when Adobe cut off access to Typekit, a lot of us had a lot of discussions about alternatives. I am totally with you about trying to do anything in Dreamweaver. I don't want to code, even though I am sure I could learn it if I had to. I don't want to be dependent on another web site for either my development or deployment, either. Because of this latest issue that keeps me from even opening Muse, I decided my best course of action was to go back to school (meaning to learn a new approach) and make use of tools that gave me the kind of design control I enjoyed with Muse. I also wanted to make sure that whatever I chose didn't do to me what Adobe did with Muse, so I wanted a solution that would be around for the foreseeable future. I also wanted something that would be even better than Muse for handling responsive design.

Muse was developed by the people who developed InDesign. For me, that made the learning curve a lot easier, because I was already using InDesign for print publishing and there were lots of similarities (like paragraph styles) that I could easily adapt to. If you think about it, Muse is really producing STATIC pages, just like InDesign does. It just produces more of them -- one for each breakpoint you define, and it harnesses some of the image resizing abilities from Photoshop to resize images appropriately for each breakpoint, without losing quality. There is NO dynamic content possible in Muse. There are no plugins to give you that either.

Precisely because I was FORCED to move on from Muse (because I can't open it, even using the fix talked about in this thread), I took a look at everything out there, what current needs are for design, speed, and functionality, and decided to make the leap into WordPress (now called Gutenberg), host it on a VPS managed server (so I don't have to worry about those issues or be dependent on some external cloud hosting setup), and go with a block theme that has responsiveness built into it and enough tools for me to have freedom in design. The theme I ended up with is Spectra One, and my page builder is Spectra (free) and Spectra Pro (more options). Full site editing (FSE) is now possible with block themes, which means you can set your global design (global colors, global fonts, custom blocks, etc.) and still turn it on or off for individual pages. The biggest arguement against this (in my opinion) is the WordPress security issue, but my hosting environment and my CDN provide a lot of protection for that, and a couple of  plugins plus good site mainentance takes care of the rest.

I took an in-depth look at everything that is out there and this is what I decided was the best solution for me. I have full control over the things that are important to me, and can deliver dynamic content (essential for a blog, and most web sites today), as well as send bulk mailings from within WordPress to grow the audience. There is built-in sharing (so users can post blog posts directly to their own social media accounts) and permalinks that make it easy to post on other sites.

My Muse sites were beautiful and just what I wanted to create. But that was 7 years ago and times have changed. Muse creates pages that are more like posters (fixed content in assorted sizes for different viewports), but that's not good enough for anyone who wants serious attention and readership today. I also detest cookie-cutter solutions, and don't want my sites to look just like everyone else's, so I have to have a solution that gives me enough control over the design to please me and yet doesn't require me to write code -- even custom CSS.

I expect to have to spend around a week or two getting up to speed with my new tools, but once I have done that, design and content creation should go quickly. I won't have to design breakpoints anymore. Those are built in and the new block-based Gutenberg is totally designed for responsiveness and speed. Elementor does have a lot of features that were attractive to me when I did a blog in 2016, but it produces bloated code because it's not built on the WordPress core, like the Astra and Spectra products are.  The overall industry is already shifting away from Elementor and Divi, and in a couple of months, a limited amount of full-site capabilities will be part of the core WordPress software, making it easier for anyone to design and maintain sites of all kinds.

There is a reason why WordPress accounts for almost half of all websites around the world, and now with block-based editing, I think everything that is NOT block-based will become essentially obsolete. I watched Muse for 4 years before it was mature enough for me to decide to use it. One year later, the EOL was announced, but I stuck with it because I was making 4 language versions of my original site and wanted to finish them before doing anything else. The delay was in verifying the accuracy of the translations. The design is otherwise identical.

So, right now I am planning on learning to use these tools in creating the blog, and then create a custom template for the static portions of the sites and make use of WordPress multisite management to clone them and then change the text. I don't want to code and I won't have to code. I know how to work with images, color and layout, and tools like loop builders allow me to create dynamic content (such as showing the latest posts on the home page, identifying other featured posts by category, having a sidebar that lists posts by particular criteria, etc. ) as well as static pages like contact forms and an "about" page.  Lots to learn in terms of using the tools, but I don't think it will take long to create the fundamental design. After that, it's just content creation and promotion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that the Brainstorm Force products (Astra and Spectra) are ALL WYSIWYG, and there are lots of managed WordPress hosting options that don't require you to depend on a particular site for development or hosting. I couldn't design without being able to see the effects immediately. I don't even have to hit "Preview Page in browser" anymore. It is truly WYSIWYG in the development window, and if you want to see what it will look like on desktop, tablet, or mobile, you just click on the appropriate icon and you see how your design will appear in any of those viewports, all without having to leave the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DaveH5 

that, i do not know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: It turns out that WordPress (Gutenberg) Full Site Editing (FSE) is just beginning to emerge and is not a user-friendy tool for designers like Muse ex-users. I watched and waited for 4 years for Muse to mature to be a reliable product before I jumped in and began to use it. Early adoptors had lots of grief and I had lots of grief trying to jump on the FSE bandwagon. I am now using transition tools that make use of flexbox containers, but still operate more like classical page builders than full out block builders.  I am now making good progress with using the Astra theme, Astra Pro, Spectra and Spectra Pro page builder tools, and was happy that I can immediately see the effects of every single change I make -- typography, color, layout, etc. and it's easy to see how it will look in desktop, tablet, and mobile mode. and make adjustments, as necessary. That being said, there are other complexities with using WordPress, so it's been a steep learning curve for me. However, I can't go back to using Muse because it won't open no matter what I try, so I don't feel I have any other choice that makes sense for what it is I want to do. Once I get the layout worked out (probably another two days or so), then I'll be happily creating content and graphics again. I'm fortunate that my husband has an IT background and can handle the technical side of things like hooking up the caching, CDN, and mass mailing connections.  It's harder to set up at the beginning, but much smoother and easier to use after that, and it handles responsive conditions beautifully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further update: In learning more from using WordPress and Astra, I discovered yet another reason to take the plunge and get away from Muse entirely: SEO. If SEO is important to a website's owner, then it's important to create the site in something other than Muse. Muse causes Jqueries and it's code is so bloated, it slows down load times, both of which will keep the site from showing up in the top ranks on searches. The search algorithms are in constant flux, but having a slow-loading page and Jqueries are going to hurt ranking for sure.

Having said that, one still needs to know certain things about padding, margins, and CSS in order to get the results one wants using any of the WordPress themes. I didn't have to know CSS to use Muse, but at least now I don't have to manually tweak every singe page in every single breakpoint. Using containers is elastic and with the Brainstorm Force products, I have control over fonts, colors and layouts for each of the three built-in breakpoints. My husband had to craft some CSS to cover one region in which their default breakpoints didn't operate correctly and now everything is looking the way we want it to look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Google Search Console Team is sending emails to administrators of sites created with Muse saying that there are new reasons preventing pages on the site from being indexed. "Soft 404" and "Duplicate without user-selected canonical"

More reasons to update sites to something more compliant with new standards...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@filmographieThank you for that information! I had already (reluctantly) concluded that I had to move on, but what you wrote gives more reasons for using something else. As for those folks who are waiting for Adobe to fix Creative Cloud so Muse will open, I think they will discover that Adobe is not going to do anything about this issue. I would be totally surprised if they did, given my own direct experience with them on this issue and when they disconnected Typekit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Desktop Common\IPCBox

rename AdobeIPCBroker  for AdobeIPCBrokerSSS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just today updated to CC Desktop version 6.2.0.554.

Delighted to say that the issue seems to now be fixed.

AdobeIPCBroker.exe is now intact again, but Muse is still running!

So glad that Adobe actually seem to have fixed it!

Cheers, Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be working on a Mac, but not in Windows10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@filmographieGood to know. We moved on to Wordpress, exported the files to static pages, and uploaded our live sites on April 29. Our page speeds are excellent, our SEO is better, and no issues with fonts whatsoever.  Even IF Adobe fixes this for Windows, I'm not going back to Muse, ever again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even IF Adobe fixes this for Windows, I'm not going back to Muse, ever again.

By @saraz943607

Muse is End of Life, meaning that there will be no fixes. Indeed, the problem is not Muse, but changes in the OS. 

It is the correct decision to change for a different system. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that the problem has not been solved, not just with you. In my second attempt today: re-Installation did not yield the expected results. Win 11 Home and Win 10 Pro. Unfortunately. Despite the costs of the full subscription (by the way, mainly because of Muse), is the only way out supposed to be the 'Black Market'? Oh, the irony!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be working on a Mac, but not in Windows10.

By @filmographie

@DaveH5 is using Windows 10. I'm not on macOS, but knowing Apple, I would expect Muse to fail on macOS before failing on Windows.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed for me. I'm running the same version and when I try to open Muse, I get a pop up window saying the app manager needed for my trial version is missing or damaged. #1 - I'm a paying customer, not a trial user. #2 the app manager was replaced with the Creative Cloud app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not the original reported issue, but what I would do is try uninstalling Muse from the Creative Cloud Desktop app, logging out and back in again, and then reinstalling it from the app.

If Muse is included in your subscription package, it should be offered.

If it isn't make sure that the switch to show older apps is enabled in CC Desktop.

HTH. Cheers, Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

muse being offered in the cc app isn't true for everyone. whoever considers your advice should check their app to see that it's current and offers muse.  then hope for the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DaveH5It's still included in the older apps and installs, but since the Dec. 18 update to Creative Cloud, it can't be opened without the hacks discussed on this thread, and THEY only work IF you already have Muse already installed. In my case, I had to reinstall Muse because I got a new computer and it wouldn't open (Windows 11) no matter what I tried, so I moved on and re-did my websites in WordPress, then exported them to static pages using the Simply Static plugin. They were published on April 29, and I will never have to go back to Muse for anything, ever again. It's clear that Adobe has no intention of ever doing anything about this. They have their sights on what they interpret as their market and Muse is out-of-date and being left behind. It's still technically available, but if you can't open it and use it, that "availability" is sort of irrelevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines