Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenType for After Effects, please!

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I would like to work with OpenType in After Effects.

I have to import the character I want from Illustrator (and then create a shape for that character), and I don´t want that. I want to be able to work natively in AE.

Could you make that?

Thanks

Idea No status
TOPICS
Import and export , Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

OpenType is a font technology and AE supports it. What exactly can't you do in AE, what steps would you expect to be working in AE? 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
3 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OpenType is a font technology and AE supports it. What exactly can't you do in AE, what steps would you expect to be working in AE? 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep,  completely understand the request. Well, I can makes some reasonable assumptions.

Curious - what sort of glyphs are you accessing via Illustrator which you are bringing into After Effects? Letters, symbols, ?

Is your workflow that you have to transform the Text into strokes while in Illustrator, then import into After Effects? You would like to keep it as live Text in After Effects?

Did you know that if you copy and paste text from Illustrator to After Effects many of the Open Type Features come with it? (two are stripped though).

Douglas Waterfall
After Effects Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would also like there to be an Open Type menu like exists in Adobe Illustrator.  I have a client that uses a font with multiple "sets" of Open Type alternative glyphs. For instance, it includes the letter "a" with and without the arch. Their brand guidelines call for the "a" without an arch, but the default character used in AE is with an arch.
I appreciate the tip from Douglas_Waterfall about copy/pasting from AI, but would rather be able to set the default within AE.

AdamPyburn_0-1715288846528.png

Here's a Google article about using Open Type alternatives: https://fonts.google.com/knowledge/glossary/alternates

Votes

Translate

Translate