• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit In Photoshop option in Illustrator launches old version of Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe 2021 but also need 2020 for some clients, so need to keep both options on my machine. When working in Illustrator 2021 and clicking on a photoshop link to edit it, which has now changed to 'Edit In Photoshop' it launches Photoshop 2020 despite 2021 being open. I want it to use whichever version of Photoshop is open, or at least if that is not possible to use Photoshop 2021 as a default not 2020. Is anyone else getting this, is there a fix?

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

This is the solution that worked for me.

Step 1:

First we need to double check and make sure the program that will open your linked file is properly set to the proper application by "Default". For this example we want the linked .psd file to open in Photoshop 2021. To preform this check, simply navigate to the file via your finder and right click the file to see if it shows the proper (default) application is selected.

Example-1.jpg

Step 2:

In Illustrator Navigate to: Illustrator-> Preferences-> File Handling

In t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced this as well.

Try this:

Go to Bridge and in its Preferences, go to Startup Scripts and uncheck the reference to your Photoshop 2020. This confines Illustrator to communicate with the just the one you want instead of the "first one in the list".

Also, if you already have PS2021 open, Option-Clicking on the actual linked image will use the currently open version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to get back me, really appriciated. The first option in Bridge did not seem to cure the problem. But the second option of ALT clicking works great, always opens up the image in the Photoshop that is open which is exactly what I need!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the Bridge thing again today, and yeah, it didn't seem to do it anymore, but then, I always used the Opt-click/Alt-click method. Interestingly, if you DON'T have PS open, the Opt-click/Alt-click opens 2021, but the Edit in Photoshop link in the Links panel opens 2020. (At least on Mac.. tried it on two different workstations).

I thought maybe it was my system's file asociations, but I have my OS associating PS files to the 2021 one, so that's not it.

Perhaps they need to consider a preference to set the one we want (like they have in Acrobat)... unless someone else has a different way. Otherwise I'm off to do a feature request!

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, Bridge solution doesn't work for me, Illustrator 2021 always opens photoshop 2020…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried chad's approach below?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the solution that worked for me.

Step 1:

First we need to double check and make sure the program that will open your linked file is properly set to the proper application by "Default". For this example we want the linked .psd file to open in Photoshop 2021. To preform this check, simply navigate to the file via your finder and right click the file to see if it shows the proper (default) application is selected.

Example-1.jpg

Step 2:

In Illustrator Navigate to: Illustrator-> Preferences-> File Handling

In the File Handling window make sure the "Use System Defaults for 'Edit Original' box is Checked.

Click OK.Example-2.jpg

This should resolve the wrong Photoshop version opening when you click "Edit Original" in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect Chad, this has resolved the issue, phew!!! Thank you all for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This checkbox only exists in Illustrator 2022, doesn't it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This checkbox is only available in Illustrator 2021 and 2022. All previous Illustrator versions automatially have the default program selected as the set program your OS uses to open the linked file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not available in 2021 (Win, 25.4.2, French) :

Win.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OS file handling check off is in Illustrator 2023 - I was having the same problem, hopefully resolved now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im having same problem it wont link in Illu 2023 to photoshop why is this? very frustrating. Anyone have a work around or fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines