Adobe Arabic text with English numerals

New Here ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I design documents for my client in both English and Arabic. When designing the Arabic documents, the numbers automatically default to Arabic. My client would like the numbers in English. What is the most efficient way to make this a global change?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022
In the Middle Eastern (ME) version of InDesign, in paragraph style options, under the "Middle East Character Formats", there's a dropdown called Digits. Here you can choose one of four options: Default (whatever the font designer has chosen as the default for that font), Arabic, Hindi or Farsi. This is where you'd select the style of digits needed. The same options are also available if you select some text and open the flyout menu of the control panel. Sorry for resuscitating an old thread, but...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually "English" numbers (1, 2, 3, etc) are considered Arabic.

Read all about it: Arabic numerals - Wikipedia

The only other numbering system we (occasionally) use is Roman numerals

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume your numbers are appearing in an Arabic writing style (ref: Numbers 1-10(١- أقرام ١٠) )

Have you tried using a character style set to the English language? You could also set up a GREP style setting that automatically changes any digits to that character style.

David Creamer
Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Certified Professional, and Adobe Certified Expert (since 1995)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How very sad! Shameful ignorance and prejudice! And I'm saying that as an American citizen.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to worry, we have a few of them over this side of the pond too Steve.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Create a character style with the language

"English" (if the font does not contain Western Numbers, you have to choose a font that does contain it.

2. Create a Paragraph Style in the GREP section, select the Character style and apply it to GREP \d+

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which font are you using in Arabic? You're aware that some fonts may not have Arabic and Hindi numbers, you may check in the Glyphs panel to see if the font has both numbers.

There are fair amount of controls in InDesign to handle multilingual publications such as yours, all you need to do is to fiddle with the settings in Character and Paragraph panels and their fly-out menus. Would be nice to see what settings you're using there.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the Middle Eastern (ME) version of InDesign, in paragraph style options, under the "Middle East Character Formats", there's a dropdown called Digits. Here you can choose one of four options: Default (whatever the font designer has chosen as the default for that font), Arabic, Hindi or Farsi.

This is where you'd select the style of digits needed. The same options are also available if you select some text and open the flyout menu of the control panel.

Sorry for resuscitating an old thread, but it's still one of the first to come up in Google today (2022).

Ariel

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines