• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endnote < > Footnote conversion problem

Engaged ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When converting endnotes to footnote or vice-versa, all the formatting is lost except for the main Paragraph and Character tags. This bug has not been addressed yet in the updates.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. I would request if you could share a few more details like:

• OS and version of InDesign 
  • Screenshots of the issue (Before and After)
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 
  • From where you are importing the Footnotes?

You may also check out this video tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7xIG7-qEI

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

As Uwe wrote, if your problem is just a matter of "small caps", simply run before conversion a simplistic regex that applies a "small caps" char style to all the "small caps" text limiting this F/R to the footnotes (supposing you used a specific para style for footnotes -- that makes things so simple to be played for you)!

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Aha! I've found a new lazy guy as me! …

Sometime ago, a guy asked me how to convert footnotes to endnotes but not all, just some!

That means get around the InDesign by default global conversion!

I've just tested the Script I wrote for him, and, with some simple modifications, it could play your game!

… So, once again, "just 1 click!"

Of course, if you have overrides at the beginning (before Script), you will still continue to have them at the end (after Script)!  =D

You can contact me in private i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. I would request if you could share a few more details like:

• OS and version of InDesign 
  • Screenshots of the issue (Before and After)
  • Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 
  • From where you are importing the Footnotes?

You may also check out this video tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x7xIG7-qEI ). Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Srishti 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign: 16.3

Screen shots attached. You will see that all small caps and italics were stripped. I have over 400 notes, do each one of them had to ne fixed.

The conversions were made inside InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NIRC,

I would not call this a bug. Once I did, see the link to my bug report below.

It's more a missing feature that manual style overrides are not transferred.

If that's a bug for you report it at InDesign UserVoice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

When done come back and post the link to the report so that others could vote for fixing it.

Or join me with this bug report where I also mentioned the issue:

[ CC-2019 and 2020 ] The Convert-Endnotes-To-Footnotes Disaster SCOPE: SELECTION with CONTEXT MENU
Uwe Laubender, February 20, 2020
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39756448--cc-2019-and-2...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

PS: Why is this thread marked as resolved with a "Correct Answer" ?

Apparently the issue is not resolved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, let's talk about workarounds.

The most obvious one:

Do not use manual style overrides.

Always use character styles.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously not a solution, just a temporary work around. But for my 400+ notes, it is unworkable. I consider this a proper BUG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Uwe wrote, if your problem is just a matter of "small caps", simply run before conversion a simplistic regex that applies a "small caps" char style to all the "small caps" text limiting this F/R to the footnotes (supposing you used a specific para style for footnotes -- that makes things so simple to be played for you)!

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course this is an option. But it's not just small caps and italics. There are font changes, superscripts and subscripts, etc. So I think it is better the problem be fixed than force a workaround on users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! I've found a new lazy guy as me! …

Sometime ago, a guy asked me how to convert footnotes to endnotes but not all, just some!

That means get around the InDesign by default global conversion!

I've just tested the Script I wrote for him, and, with some simple modifications, it could play your game!

… So, once again, "just 1 click!"

Of course, if you have overrides at the beginning (before Script), you will still continue to have them at the end (after Script)!  =D

You can contact me in private if interested by it won't be a for free solution!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test (before/after).

Btw, I hope your char enrichments are not as weird as mine! [most are manual … don't search any sense to them: just for the game!]  =D

Before!Before!

After!After!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but no thanks. I use too many fonts (some of them non-Roman) and prefer to wait for InDesign to fix this problem properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing to see! It's only a matter of manual char enrichment!

... And about waiting for Id, sure if you have years to achieve your work!

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

NIRC said:

"Thanks, but no thanks. I use too many fonts (some of them non-Roman) and prefer to wait for InDesign to fix this problem properly."

A script could handle that case as well.

The other workaround, you already guessed it:

[1] Add a new footnote.

[2] Move your formatted text from the endnote section to the new footnote text.

For that enable "Drag and Drop Text Editing" in:

Preferences > Type > Drag and Drop Text Editing

[ x ] Enable in Layout View

[ x ] Enable in Story Editor

You could open two Story Editor windows.

One with your main text flow, the other with the endnote text frame.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines