Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting to PDF 10MB

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a InDesign file that is 20,428 KB. I would like to convert it to a PDF no larger than 10 MB but stay as close to 10 MB as possible to preserve as much detail as possible. How can that be done?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

The size of the ID file is immaterial as it does not take into account the size of the linked images/graphics.

I would start exporting at the top end (i.e. Color Images: 300 dpi images,  Image Quality: Maximum), see where that lands you, and work backwards from there.

Start with changing the image compression; e.g try Image Quality: Medium.

I wouldn't go much less than that as the compression artifacts will ramp up considerably.

If that doesn't do it, try reduce images to 200* or even 150 at Medium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The size of the ID file is immaterial as it does not take into account the size of the linked images/graphics.

I would start exporting at the top end (i.e. Color Images: 300 dpi images,  Image Quality: Maximum), see where that lands you, and work backwards from there.

Start with changing the image compression; e.g try Image Quality: Medium.

I wouldn't go much less than that as the compression artifacts will ramp up considerably.

If that doesn't do it, try reduce images to 200* or even 150 at Medium Quality. (I personally like 200 as it still gives a goood print reproduction ratio)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome advice! Thank you! That worked great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Where file size is an issue, I also try beginning with a high res PDF then try the Save As... reduced file size option. It might not always do much, but it 'cleans' up the document by removing all the unecessary background information and structures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines