• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to install InDesign CS6, error Installation failed: Your installation encountered errors.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My laptop (Windows 10 with everything updated) crashed and I have to reinstall Adobe InDesign CS6. I have a valid serial number and the installer initiated without any issue, but when it got to the end, it said:

Installation Failed

Your installation encountered errors.

It has an "error summary" but I was not able to open it to identify the issue as there's no program can open it. If I could open the summary, I would be able to see what's the problem.

I have reinstalled CS6 in April 2024 and I have no problem at that time, but two months later, I couldn't install it again this time.

Any suggestions/comments are much appreciated.

Thank you.

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Activation billing and install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 07, 2024 Jul 07, 2024

It has been more than 7 days and my InDesign still working normally. I guess it's activated.

Thank you to everyone who have provided assistance with the issue. I really appreciate that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is about all I can offer: Using Creative Cloud Cleaner tool to fix installation problems (adobe.com)

You're using 11-year-old software that has zero support now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand it's an old software. I don't need any technical support, I just need to help to install it. I have reinstalled it in April 2024 without any issues, two months later, I couldn't reinstall it anymore. And there's an ERROR SUMMARY which I cannot open. What program can I use to open it? When I clicked on it, it brought me to the MS store to find a program which are all useless. If I can see the error summary, at least I can identify the issue and find a way to fix it.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read the page I linked to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I just proceeded with the removal and I'll try to install again, will post the update once finished.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main issue is that I couldn't open the ERROR SUMMARY to identify what's the issue. How could I open it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know and frankly, it's probably loaded with a bunch of worthless information anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, same issue, installation failed with an error summary which I couldn't read which is very frustrating not knowing what's the issue so I can find a way to fix it.

By the way, Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool ran successfully earlier.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there's an ERROR SUMMARY which I cannot open. What program can I use to open it? When I clicked on it, it brought me to the MS store to find a program which are all useless.

By @silkphoenix45

On a Mac I'd drop such a file on a basic text processing app such as TextEdit (which will open any file) and see if it displayed any human-readable content. I assume there must be a similar approach on Windows (I just don't know what it is.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2024 Jun 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@leo.r

OP can't access it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows I would try using NotePad first, then WordPad if the file is very large.

@Robert at ID-Tasker the file is accessible or it wouldn't be asking for a program to open it. Just has an unknown extension with no association. One should be able to bypass the microsoft store and manually browse to a program already installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I logged into my account and InDesign was indeed registered there and there's a download link available. I'll download again and try to install, will update the status once finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to install with the new download link I just downloaded, it gave me the attached error. However, I did have Adobe Support Advisor in my laptop (I installed it this morning). So I don't know what's going on now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget that. Keeping in mind that you are in unsupported territory, try the following:

1. Run the cleaner tool again
  2. Create a new user account on your computer
  3. Right click the exe file and run it as an administrator

Let us know how that goes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'll try that later. I do think it's the problem with activation of my serial number. As Peter Spier had pointed out, since this is a very old app, Adobe had stopped activate it anymore. I just wish I could open that ERROR SUMMARY, maybe it'll tell me actually what's the problem.

By the way, Peter, you had helped me with InDesign issues way back in 2013 and 2014 and I still remember that, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@silkphoenix45

Check installation folder - and temp folders - for any recent logs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

Is there a way I can find out if my serial number is still activated or if I can activate it myself? Adobe agent couldn't help me since my app is too old.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there's any way for you to deactivate other than what was in those links if the old system is no long available (and if the activation sever is actually gone, there will be no way at all). You may be out of luck here, which is bad news for a lot of us who still run CS6.

IF you ever getr it running, I would for sure make a clone of the system just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For unknown reasons, I was told that I am not allowed into the Community site and won't even let me log in. I created a new account to post reply. 

I imported all the Adobe folders from my previous backup into my reinstalled laptop and tried to install InDesign again. Surprisingly I was able to complete the installation but it did ask me to sign in and I got the error to update browser, etc. I tried the OFFLINE REGISTRATION (three times) but it kept telling me the info I entered was incorrect. I did check the info and they were all correct.

I opened the DEACTIVATE option in InDesign app and saw it said if I wanted to deactivate the app, proceed. Does it mean that my app is now activated? I guess I'll wait for 7 days to see what happened.

And in reference to the ERROR SUMMARY, it didn't give me any option to choose another app, only to open MS Store.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in reference to the ERROR SUMMARY, it didn't give me any option to choose another app, only to open MS Store.

By @John38335111g4ue

Is there a way on Windows to open your file from within an app of your choice (without having to use the options offered by the operating system)? I think that's what @Peter Spier also meant by suggesting NotePad of WordPad to open your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no. There's no option to save it. And no option to use any other apps except to open the MS store as shown in the attached jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no. There's no option to save it.

By @John38335111g4ue

Oh ok I see.

leor_0-1719692190097.png

And that 'error summary' link (and whatever else is hidden by the dialog) doesn't let you locate the actual report file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right. 

By the way, the attached jpgs are shown when I tried to use my old account which I have used it for years to post in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right. 

By @John38335111g4ue

Well then it's pretty lousy UX on Adobe's part. Why do they provide a report that can neither be easily opened by standard apps nor located in the system?

P.S. Well, not to forget that we're referring to an antique CS6 installer... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines