• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (Mac) People masks selections are not as expected (Entire Screen or Square Area)

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was originally posted under "Bugs" but I really want this to be answered as a question. I will be happy to delete whichever post doesn't fit under the best category however! Thank you.

When using Lightroom Classic 12.2.1 with MacOS Ventura 13.3 (on a Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 iMac with the AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB and 72 GB of memory)...

I am getting the entire image selected when I try to use the "Select People" then choosing "Entire Person." Lightroom Classic allows me to individually select the hair, teeth, eyes, etc. as usual but when trying to select the entire body, the whole screen gets turned pink to indicate that the Lightroom thinks that the whole picture is the person.

I've attached two (redacted for privacy) screenshots of the "Subject" masking that still works as it should and the "Entire Person" mask that shows where the entire photo area has been selected incorrectly by the AI.

Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks!

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Ventura 13.5.2 updated graphics and audio drivers! Masking is working again for me! How about you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Setting status -matching to existing investigation ticket. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 202 Replies 202
202 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the same with Camera Raw and Photoshop 24.3.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chiming in here to say I have the same problem with 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7 and AMD Radeon Pro 5700 8 GB. I spent 3 hours with tech support only for them to realize this thread existed. Real drag. I hope they fix it very soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 12.3 and Camera Raw 15.3 from April 18, 2023 have not solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. And, in fact, it was wanting to try the facial hair feature in 12.3 that made me realize there was a problem to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - iMac 2020 (Mac OS 13.3.1(a)) - 64GB RAM - AMD Radeon Pro 5700XT with Lightroom v12.3. Some LR versions ago the masking worked as designed but now the "select person" option masks the entire picture. Sad, that this very important feature is still buggy up to now. On my MacBook Pro with M2 processor everything is fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for adding your experience as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chiming in to say that I just got this bug on my Mac, running ryzan 5700xt with 8gb ram. I know it something stupid because it was working fine prior to the Lightroom classic update and now its not working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SweetPeaPhotog, Adobe is constantly improving LR's use of the graphics processor, so it's very possible that the new code in LR 12.3 is tripping over a bug that the code in 12.2 didn't. Try updating your graphics driver by going directly to the manufacturer's web site:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html#solution-4

If that doesn't help, please copy/paste here the entire contents of the LR menu command Help > System Info -- that will let us see exactly which versions of hardware and software LR thinks you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John: We are talking about the Mac. Here's what it says at the link you sent...

macOS:

Graphics drivers are updated via operating system updates. 

There are no graphics drivers to be had by "going directly to the manufacturer's web site." I'm not quite sure why you would suggest downloading a driver unless you've been mistaken about the nature of the problem we're having and that there's literally nothing we can do until Adobe, Apple and AMD get together and fix this. But if I'm mistaken about what you're talking about, then I sincerely apologize, but if you're suggesting something without truly being aware of the situation on the Mac, then I remain bewildered and upset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, no clue why it's being recommended to update drivers. Not easily done on a Mac and given that this is something that was working properly a few updates ago this is an adobe issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I missed the mention of Mac.  Indeed the only way to update drivers on Mac is to update the operating system. @SweetPeaPhotog, which version of Mac OS are you running? 

It may be a bug in LR, or it may be a bug in the graphics driver triggered by the changed graphics code in the most recent version in LR 12.3, there's no way for us to know.  In general, though, you can see in this forum that most, but far from all, problems with LR's AI commands are fixed by updating the driver (on Windows) or updating to the most recent Mac OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I already am on the newest Mac OS. and IDK what form you are looking at. But I didnt see anyone on mac say it was solved by updating mac os. I have had this mac os since it was available, I never had an issue with lightroom until two weeks ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the symptoms reported in the original post in this thread, no one has reported that upgrading Mac OS fixed the issue. But the evidence indicates a bug in the Mac OS graphics drivers (symptoms don't occur when rebooting in safe mode to disable the GPU).  

For other problems with LR's AI commands, there are many posts of users on older versions of Mac OS tripping over driver bugs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

so since 3 days my lightroom is not working as it should - if I try to select people detection the mask is just a square, if I try to detect subject it "detects" some random stuff and if I choose to detect background the mask is generally 99% of my photo. 

How can I fix it? I've tried to uninstalling it but it didn't helped. Can someone give me some tips how to fix my software?

I use windows 11 and my LR Classic version is 12.3

2023-05-17.png2023-05-17 (2).png2023-05-17 (1).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. It helped to update the graphics card CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. In preferences, turn off use GPU and see what occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. The mask panel looks odd as well. I tried seeing if I could reproduce that, but nope. Have you considered resetting the preferences file? Sometimes the preference file gets corrupted, leading to all sorts of oddities.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and, please

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Mostly interested in the GPU bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue!!! Were you able to resolve this? I was on the phone with adobe support for 3 hours and mac support for 2... If anything they made things worse. I can not select any people ever since I updated to MCOSVentura 13.3. My masking tools stopped working the next day!!! I am beyond frustrated and have done everything in my power to try and resolve this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @Barbora29936188f3l2 indicated, most likely this is caused by an old graphics driver. Try updating your graphics driver by going directly to the manufacturer's web site:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html#solution-4

If that doesn't help, please copy/paste here the entire contents of the LR menu command Help > System Info as @GoldingD  requested -- that will let us see exactly which versions of hardware and software LR thinks you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Yasimine22267823nzd4, please do the LR menu command Help > System Info and copy/paste the entire contents here so we can see exactly which versions of hardware and software LR thinks you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting status -matching to existing investigation ticket. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IDK if people just dont know, but you CAN NOT update drivers for mac GPUs. That is done thru apple updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reinstalled my gpu drivers and everything is working as it should! Thank you all for your help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"IDK if people just dont know, but you CAN NOT update drivers for mac GPUs. That is done thru apple updates."

All the experienced forum participants here know (e.g. here, here, and here). But threads ostensibly limited to one platform often get posts from users on the other platform (often failing at first to identify their configuration details), and we can't assume which platform those users are on. And due to lack of threaded view in Bugs threads, it can be hard to keep the subthreads straight, and some confusion is inevitable.

Votes

Translate

Translate