• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Lightroom Classic ver. 10.4 [202108071231-af9219b9] Process RAW photos from the Sony A7iv?

New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings!

I'm a Lightroom Classic subscriber running the final LR version compatible with my legacy Mac...  which is ver. 10.4 [202108071231-af9219b9]

I just ordered the Sony A7iv and I'm wondering if my version of Lightroom will be able to process the RAW photos from the new camera when it arrives? Does anyone know...  or know how I can find out?

Thank You!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html you will need version 11.1 for A7IV support. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the guidance, Rikk...  much appreciated.

Bummer.

Do you happen to have a suggestion for how I might get my photos into LR without ver. 11.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally I would recommend the DNG Converter but the current version isn't supported on older OS's. 
If you have an old copy of the DNG converter you would be able to convert the files into a format Lightroom can read.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, Rikk. Any idea which version of DNG converter I should try and hunt-down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current Mac OS is 10.14.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an archive of DNG Converter versions (for which you would need an FTP App) at-

DNG ARCHIVES- Requires FTP access!

However when you find a legacy DNG Converter version compatible with your Mac OS 10.14.6  it is very likely (certain! IMO) that the legacy version still does not support the Camera Raw version needed to convert your new A7iv camera raw files.

(Time for a Mac upgrade?)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the DNG Archives info, Rob!

I understand an archived version of the converter might not work, but I'd like to give it a whirl with my fingers crossed. Someone here https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4565583 wrote:  "I run Mojave 10.14.6 and use the latest version of DNG converter (13.2...) which works fine."

How does one aquire the password for FTP access, Rob?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How does one aquire the password for FTP access"

(I hope my advice will work for you on a Mac!)

No password necessary, but you need to install an FTP Client App. There are many for Mac- some free, some to purchase.

https://mac.eltima.com/best-ftp-mac.html

Filezilla is both free and cross-platform-

https://filezilla-project.org/

After you install Filezilla, the link ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/dng/ should open Filezilla with the folder structure showing the Mac versions of DNG Converter, in the Remote Site Mac folder- You simply drag a .dmg (Mac installer) file across to your 'Local' folders.

2023-03-11 07_58_50-ftp.adobe.com - FileZilla.jpg

2023-03-11 07_55_58-Mozilla Firefox.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks once again, Rob. I've downloaded and launched both Commander One and Filezilla to see if I could figure out the process on my own. Uhhhhhh, nope. My son is a whiz with this sort of thing so I'll have him help me when he can and report back. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Google search for  "DNG converter for Mac" came up with a few links, including this one-

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/16064/adobe-dng-converter/old-versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I picked-up the new Sony A7IV yesterday and tried to import .ARW files into Lightroom, without success. I haven't yet connected with my son to help me access the FTP versions of DNG converter, Rob, but I did try the link to old versions you provided...  thank you for that. I tried versions 10.0, 10.4, and 13.0...  going back to 2017...  each without success.

One odd thing I noticed that may contain a clue is that the .ARW icons are badged with Affinity Photo, which does exist in my applications folder, but I never use it? After getting the error message that the converter didn't recognize the files I "got info" on one of the files and set all of them to open using Adobe DNG Converter. Still no success.

It seems there must be a way to get .ARW's converted and into lightroom without upgrading my Mac? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the .ARW icons are badged with Affinity Photo"-  Perhaps you somehow associated the .ARW files with Affinity as the default app. (In Windows that would be [Open With] and set as default.)

"files .. set .. to open using Adobe DNG Converter"

Not possible!. The Converter can only CONVERT a select FOLDER of proprietary raw files. It does not 'Open' files.

I think that you may be limited to camera JPG files only, until you have a Mac system and apps that support the new format of your cameras' raw files.

Your 'old' OS will not run a (recent) DNG Converter version that is capable of converting the ARW versions of your camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bummer!

Well, it appears one of the most important ways my beloved'ol Mac has faithfully served me for so long in no longer...  done...  kapoot...  and can't be worked-around. The end of an era—  a sad day indeed. 

Rikk and Rob...  thanks you, gentlemen...  for the sharing of your time and expertise. Very much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines