Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ILCE-7M4 no photos found during import in MTP mode

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using Lightroom Classic 11.5 with my new Sony a7iv and when I try to import pictures by selecting MTP mode on the camera, Lightroom shows ILCE-7M4 into Source->devices, but when I click on the button, Lightroom says "no photos found".

If I select "MSC" mode on the camera, Lightroom shows "Untitled" devices, and when I click on this button, pictures are present.

Any suggestion to use the MTP mode and see pictures on my camera?

Thank you in advance,

Fabio

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being curious (and not a Sony user) I looked at the Owners Manual trying to comprehend:

MSC....camera is recognized as a removable disk

MTP....the camera is recognized as a media device

It seems logical to me that MSC would be the choice for LrC to import the images as if from another storage device- (Hard-drive, Memory card, USB stick, etc). The memory card being "untitled" even though it resides in the camera.

On another note- You import previews are greyed out which would suggest that the images have already been imported into the Catalog. If you exit the Import module- Do you see them in the Catalog panel under [All Photographs] or [Previous Import] views? (Search by filename)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on Rob's reply, in the last number of years LR has effectively deprecated importing via the Device panel in the Import window, default to the Files panel if the camera supports it.  The Device panel uses the MTP / PTP (Media Transfer Protocol / Picture Transfer Protocol), which is significantly slower on Mac and Windows than accessing via the Files panel, which uses the Mass Store Class protocol used to access memory cards and sticks.  MTP/PTP is also buggier, getting time zones wrong in every version since LR 1.  I believe much of this is practically out of Adobe's control, since Windows and Mac implement the MTP/PTP protocol on behalf of apps.

That's why LR defaults to using the Files panel in Import if the camera supports it.

Is there a reason why you don't want to use MSC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

as explained to Rob, the reason is because I used this way with the previous camera, but since you all are saying MSC is better, I'll use it.

Thanks for your support,

Fabio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

the pictures are grayed because were already imported in MSC mode. MSC allows to see images on SD card, MTP doesn't.

With the previous camera, Sony alpha6300, MTP was working well. Now, moving on this new camera I expected to use the same way, but if you say MSC is the perfect mode, that's fine, I'll use it. Thank you very much for your time.
Fabio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is their a reason that you are not placing the card in a card reader instead of connecting to the camera? Connecting to the camera for import is problematic and slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main reason is because I'm lazy... 🙂

No, the real reason is becauseI was used to to in this way with the previous camera, so I tried the same. In addiction, my iMac 27" doesn't have any SD slot, then I need an USB reader not present on my desk.

Thank you for your reply,

Fabio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Importing via MSC and the Files panel in Import may give you good performance, certainly better than using MTP and the Devices panel.  But you may find that a $10 USB card reader from Amazon gives even faster performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines