Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been editing wedding photos for 2 weeks with no problem...Now my lightroom v10.3 on windows 10 pro is showing an error saying Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo. cant export and the software is lagging pretty hard. I can open up  the files just fine on windows but i dont know whats wrong with lightroom.

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been editing wedding photos for 2 weeks with no problem...Now my lightroom v10.3 on windows 10 pro is showing an error saying Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo.

Photo file is corrupted somehow. Replace it with a backup (which hopefully is not corrupted).

You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo. cant export and the software is lagging pretty hard. I can open up the files just fine on windows but i dont know whats wrong with lightroom.

We are going to need a lot more details, such as:

Adobe Forum.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but the photos open up fine with other programss and was just working fine before Im using lightroom classic v10.3

on Windows 10 Pro

full text says Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments when i click the black ! mark

and text when exporting states :

An internal math error occurred. (1)
J:\sony a7iii photos 2021\07.02.2021 Kerin and Lindsays wedding\JJJ01565.ARW

Thank god i do have it backed up but if i delete the photos and reload will the edits still be there?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could copy the backup files to a new location. Right click on the folder in the Folders panel and choose 'Update Folder Location'. Assuming the file names are the same, Lightroom should connect the edits to the new files. 

Deleting the photos from Lightroom would delete the edits also. 

Sean McCormack http://seanmccormack.com

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that other programs show the photo fine is irrelevant. The file is corrupted. Lightroom Classic tries to read the RAW part of the image, that's where the corruption is; other programs read the embedded JPG which apparently is not corrupted.

but if i delete the photos and reload will the edits still be there?

I did not instruct you to delete the photo and reload (re-import) it. That would be wrong. I said replace it with a backup (go to your backups, copy the backup of this exact photo file, and paste it over the corrupted "original" file)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey i just replaced with the back ups (just transfered the back ups and overwrote the original) and im still getting the same error. Appreciate your help is there anything else i can try?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey i just replaced with the back ups (just transfered the back ups and overwrote the original) and im still getting the same error. Appreciate your help is there anything else i can try?

By @Justin5DEA

My guess is that the original was corrupted on the camera card.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to tell if it was corrupted on the camera card and how that happens? I'm having the same issue with lightroom with several photo sessions of mine. This is the 4th time I've had several if not all of the photos in the session saying that the file can't be edited, and when i edit it in photoshop it says "can't open file because file format module cannot parse the file"....Any ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See screenshots

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i click the black ! mark

Please expand upon that, preferably with a screenshot of that situation.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled.png

error.png

  I hope this helps

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post one in which the folder the photo is in shows  up in the folders panel? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI- The Badge that indicates that a file is damaged or corrupted-

A black circle with an exclamation mark.

WobertC_0-1626650279569.png

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.4, Photoshop 22.5, Lightroom 4.4, Windows-10 Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried reseting the preference file?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines