• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic right click / Edit in>Edit in Photoshop 2022 not working unless I open as a smart object

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my apps yesterday and I'm working with LR Classic 11.0 release, (Camera Raw 14.0) and Photoshop 2022 23.0.0 on an iMac.

I was also interested in a feature in the PS Beta, so I downloaded that too, but have now uninstalled it, as the right click from Lightroom was automatically opening in the beta version, and that wasn't set up with all my customised preferences, etc. 

If I work on an image in LR and then want to open in PS 2022, I can do so if I open as a smart object only. I cannot open the raw file in the usual way, or merge to HDR or panorama in PS by using the right click or Edit menu options. 

I read somewhere that rolling back the camera raw may help. so I tried installing Camera Raw 13.1, but that hasn't helped.

Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

OK, uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop seems to have resolved the problem. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested, not having an issue. Recommend you give Adobe a Chat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @GoldingD  I'm currently chatting with them via MAX, and I'm uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop. I'll report back if I find a fix, just in case others are having the same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @rixie1

Thank you for all the details. This helps! Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of Camera Raw? 

Best, 

Careeeesa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @CMass, yes, I tried winding back and it didn't help, so I reinstalled 14.0.

I'm just reinstalling Photoshop now, so I'll see if it resolves. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop seems to have resolved the problem. Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is great news! Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot with us. 

Thanks, 

Careeeesa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unininstall and reinstall did not fix this for me. If I select "Edit in Photoshop" from within LR Classic, Photoshop opens but the photo never comes into PS so I can work on it. I do get a message in LR Classic that says: "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2022 could not be launched." I get this message both when PS2022 is already open and when it is not. Running LrC 11.0, Camera Raw 14.0, Photoshop 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I also recive the same message, in German, but it says.. i can not open the file because PS is not startet. But a few moments later, LR create a TIFF file and i could use this in PS, but without any levels or something. So I hope someone could explain and maybe have a solution for this. Thanks \m/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Exactly what is happening for me. A TIFF is created after a long wait. If I try to make a Levels adjustment, for example, there is no histogram for the adjusment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two additional possible remedy's from other posts

1.If PS looks like it is timing out when you select edit in Photoshop from LrC. If you had not previously started and used the upgraded PS, then close LrC, start PS, let it get thru any annoying what is new posts, etc. Open a photo, do an edit or two, and close. Point is to let PS start up, initialize, and get done with whatever it is busy doing first time it starts (first time the upgraded copy starts)

Close PS, open LrC, give edit in PS a try.

second point to follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did not solve the issue. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also note that if I select "Edit a Copy" or "Edit Original" then the photo opens in PS2022 as expected. The error only seems to happen when I select "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments". Does this help with any possible solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Continuing with alternate solutions, from other posts.

2. Consider resetting the PS preferences file , the preference/settings file can get corrupted. Warning, many if not all settings will revert to defaults.

https://www.howtogeek.com/724968/how-to-reset-adobe-photoshop-preferences/

And you might also have a corrupt LrC preference file, same warning about settings reverting to defaults.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither resetting PS or LrC preferences worked to resolve the problem. Uninstall and reinstall of PS2022 also did not work. I do notice that the issue is only happening when I select "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments". When I do this I get the message mentioned above then a new TIFF is created in LrC. When I click "OK" on the error message in LrC then the file opens in PS2022.  If I select "Edit a Copy" or "Edit Original" then the photo opens in PS2022 as expected. Also, still no histogram showing up in PS2022 levels adjustment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem here.  If I try "Edit in Photoshop 22," it works properly if I select "Edit a Copy" or "Edit Original" but if I select "Edit with Lightroom Adjustments" no Tiff is created and Photoshop 2022 (latest version as of today) opens to a blank spash screen.  I have reinstalled both lightroom and photoshop with no success.  This is on a Mac running OS 12.0.1, Photoshop 23.1, and Lightroom CC 11.1 and ACR 14.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, "Edit in" works properly for a variety of third party editing apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted back to the previous vesion and resolved it for now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an update. I upgraded my computer with a better CPU and that seems to have solved the problem. Since uninstalling and reinstalling LRc and PS had not solve the problem previously, I am guessing that the CPU upgrade was the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A CPU upgrade might be in my future for a variety of reasons, but I'd be disappointed if that was what it took to fix the problem.  I spend nearly 6 hours with 3 different support technicians with Adobe support over the course of two days with no solution so far.  At this point, I am giving up and hoping that a future update takes care of it as I can't dedicate more time on this, frustrating as it is.  Just to clarify the problem, before moving on, in case someone else encounters the same:

• I'm trying to use "Edit in Photoshop 22"  I'm using the current lastest versions of Photoshop (23.1.0), Lightroom CC (11.1) and ACR (14.1) and the Mac OS (12.0.1) on a 2017 Intel-based iMac with 48Gb of RAM, and 8GB Radeon Pro 580 Graphics Card.
  • Here's what I've observed when I try to edit in Photoshop:
    • I select "Edit in Photoshop 22,"
      • If the file is .dng, Photoshop 22 opens, but goes straight to the spashscreen and the image I want to edit does not show up.  The only way to edit is to export it manually, open it in Photoshop manually, save it to desktop (or similar), then reimport to lightroom. . . not ideal.
      • If the file is .jpg, .tiff, or .raf (fujifilm raw), I get a choice of "Edit original with lightroom adjustments," "Edit a copy," or "Edit Original." 
        • for .jpg, .tiff, or .raf formats, if I select "Edit with lightroom Adjustments," Lightroom behaves as described above for .dng.  Photoshop opens, but there is no image to edit.  Also, in Lightroom there is no progress bar showing that a copy is being created for editing and no copy shows up in the thumbnail bar.  In essence there seems to be a missing trigger to create the copy and send it to photoshop, even though photoshop is told to open.
        • If I instead select "Edit a copy," a progress bar appears in Lightroom showing that a copy is being created in the format I chose (Tiff or PSD), that copy shows up in the thumbnail bar a the bottom of the workspace, then Photoshop opens and the copied image opens in photoshop where it can be edited and saved as it is supposed to be.  Everything works to plan here.
        • Similar to above, "Edit Original," however no copy is created (as expected).  Photoshop opens the image properly and it can be edited and saved as it is supposed to.  As with "Edit Copy,", everthing works as expected.
      • Note:  "Edit In" works perfectly for all file types if I choose a different external editor such as Viveza, Topaz deNoise, Luminar 4 etc.  The problem, as far as I can tell, is exclusively with sending a copy of a Lightroom CC file with Lightroom adjustments to Adobe Photoshop 22.

I and 3 different support technicians have tried (certain operations disconnected me with Support and I was not able to get back to the same person), with no success:

• restarting software and the computer. .. always a good place to start
  • uninstalling and reinstalling LightroomCC, Photoshop and ACR a few times, and changing the order of installations in case that mattered.  The support technicians repeated the process at least twice.  Tried both with and without keeping preferences.
  • resetting preferences for both softwares (restarted with Option and Shift keys)
  • throwing away .plists for both and restarting both computer and software.
  • changing a variety of permissions on the Library, Lightroom, and Photoshop and in the security preference of the OS.
  • Turning graphics acceleration on and off on both softwares
  • Removing all Adobe software from my computer an only reinstalling subscribed Adobe software (got rid of legacy versions from the years) using Adode cleaning tools from Support.
  • Reinstallnig Photoshop 21 in place of 22.
  • logging out of the computer as me and logging is as "Root" to see if it's a permissions problem
  • I'm sure there were other things tried that I missed, but I've lost track

At this point my suspician is that this is an obcure bug in Lightroom since:

• all other editors I've tried work as they should to make the round trip from Copy with Lightroom Adjustments to the external editor and back again.
  • other older versions of Photoshop did not rectify the problem
  • Changing permissions or logging in as Root had no effect
  • Only a few people seem to be reporting the problem (the obscure part) and the Support Technicians seemed as baffled as I am
  • Reinstalling any of the software didn't help
  • Resetting Permissions either via "Restart with resetting permissions" or throwing away .plists had no effect other than to remind me that I had customized my workspace to my liking and that I'd have to redo that.

If anyone has had this problem and solved it, I'd love to hear from you.  For now I'll muddle through by exporting or using other editors where I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your description of the problem was exactly as I experienced as well. I note that when I upgraded my CPU I also had to reload all software including the Adobe software. Uninstalling and reinstalling Adobe software had not solved the problem before which made me think that the new CPU was the solution. All working as expected now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it.  I probably won't do that until I move to a new machine since it will take some time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same exact issue! so frsutrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

revert to the previous version of photoshop until its resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines