• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: People masking error dialog on systems with < 2 GB of video memory

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to v12.1 and I cannot use the new People masking feature any more, it worked perfectly with v12.0.  I now get a message telling me my computer does not have enough graphics memory when there has been zero hardware change to my Macbook Pro.  If I use any of my presets that use the People subject masking then they all work perfectly, so my laptop clearly works with people masking, it's just the People section of "add new mask" that's now completely broken!  Will have to go back to the old version...

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Please refer to: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/select-people-mask-crash.html for additional information.

Please review your system's specs and compare these to the minimum requirements document (last revised at the Max October 2022 release): https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html 

Systems with less than 2GB of video memory do not meet the published minimum requirements for versions 12.0 (and later). While it is possible that these functions may have worked previ

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 101 Replies 101
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please refer to: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/select-people-mask-crash.html for additional information.

Please review your system's specs and compare these to the minimum requirements document (last revised at the Max October 2022 release): https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html 

Systems with less than 2GB of video memory do not meet the published minimum requirements for versions 12.0 (and later). While it is possible that these functions may have worked previously on a few individual systems, they are not supported.

As a Mac user (who is unable to upgrade your system's GPU memory) you might want to consider an EGPU as an option for extending your existing hardware if you wish to continue running Lightroom Classic 12.1 or later on your machine.

Regarding the apparent incongruity mentioned in this thread with Adaptive Presets still working despite People Masking being no longer supported, realize that the Adaptive Presets work on a 'skin selection model' not the 'people selection model' that is no longer supported. People Masking is not requisite for a skin-retouching Adaptive Preset. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bug, pure and simple.  This all worked perfectly in v12.0 and v12.0.1, and it still works if you use a preset that contains people masking, it's simply a UI defect that stops access to a function that works perfectly well!  I have gone back to 12.0.1 and guess what, everything works perfectly.  What I want to know is when are Adobe going to issue a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default59f0ioj67q60

This is not a bug.

Please do not mark your post as a correct answer again as it is not accurate. 

Additionally, please review the link to the Community Terms of Use at the bottom of the page - specifically section 11.2 (d). 

Thank you.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac mini 2018 runs Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB and Lightroom Classic requires a minimum of 2 GB of VRAM for Graphics. The result is that some functionality is suspended, for example the new masking tools. Has anyone else come up against this. It seems all of a sudden to me.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The minimum requirement of 2GB VRAM is actually already the case for quite a long time (I believe since 2020). It's only just now that this does indeed mean that some new functionality cannot be used.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have on my 2014 Intel PC. I first discovered it with PS which required 2GB first. Fortunately, I have a desktop and was able to upgrade my video card. However, to your point, I agree more needs to be done:

• Adobe needs to do more like adding a pre-check of hardware compatibility before we install a new release and need to back  it out.
  • Hardware vendors need to allow for upgrades to meet changes in software rather than forcing us to buy new equipment. Some vendors lock your configuration in at time of purchase. I appreciate with the new miniaturization of laptops, in-field upgrades may be difficult so maybe it's time to stop shrinking the hardware and allow more upgrades.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reported this issue previously but have not received a reasonable response from Adobe yet.

Since v12.1 the people masking feature is disabled on my 2020 Macbook Pro (with an i7 and 32GB RAM) running MacOS Monterey (v12.6.1) with a message telling me that I do not have enough VRAM.  When I raised this issue previously the response was that my laptop does not meet the minium requirements for Lightroom Classic, however this response is moot.

Firstly, Lightroom 12.1 functions perfectly well on my laptop without any problems whatsoever, although at times it can slow down a bit, which means my laptop is more than adequate to run LR.  And secondly, the mimimum system requirements are specified for the whole of LR and not the minimum requirements for explicitily documented features and functions that have this dependency.  Therefore LR either not work on any system that don't meet the minimum requirement and just open with an error message when started before closing down, or full access to all features and functions be enabled.

Prior to v12.1 the people masking feature worked without fail for images containing one person, and also those containing two (I haven't tried higher) so this is clear evidence that this function works perfectly on systems below the minimum specification and this feature should not have been disabled.  If presets that include people masking are used in v12.1 the feature still works perfectly which also prooves categorically that this feature should not be disabled as it works perfectly without 2GB of VRAM.  There are also been no documented changes to people masking itself or to the mimimum requirements for it in the v12.1 release notes, and there is nothing specified in the people masking documentation on the Adobe website stating that people masking has a specific dependency on VRAM (and how much) either.

As I specified previously, this is a clear change in the product whereby a working feature has been disabled unneccesarily, and this is also an undocumented changed which it means it should be categorised as a bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro with 8GB of memory. I use Light Room Classic 12.1 and was able to use the Select People Mask just fine as long as Photoshop was closed. Now LR won't let me open that feature - says I don't have enough graphic memory to support it. Has anyone has similar issue or any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RAM and GPU memory are different. Check your system info and see if you've more than 2GB on your GPU. I assume it's an M1 and shared memory if it's that recent, but just in case. 

Check the Performance tab in Preferences to see if the GPU settings have been reset.

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it is a 2019, is it an Intel Mac? If so, then the important thing to look at is the amount or graphics memory. You can find this out by choosing About This Mac from the Apple menu, then clicking More Info.

Shown below is my old Mac, a 2018 Intel Mac. Under the Graphics section, it says it has 1536MB of memory for graphics. This Mac uses Intel integrated graphics only, and 1536MB is the maximum possible memory for that type of graphics hardware. If your 2019 MacBook Pro has discrete graphics, such as AMD graphics hardware, it may show a much higher amount of graphics memory depending on the model.

(The picture is from macOS 13 Ventura. If your Mac is running macOS 12 or earlier, it’s different…instead, open the System Information application and look in the Hardware / Graphics/Displays panel.)

macOS-13-System-Information-with-VRAM.jpg

Adobe recently made a change to the Lightroom Classic system requirements so that at least 2GB of graphics memory is needed. This caused many relatively recent lower-end Intel Macs to not meet the requirements for people masking. As the picture shows, my old laptop with only 1.5GB of graphics memory does not qualify for people masking under the current requirements. If your macOS system information shows less than 2GB of graphics memory, that might be the problem.

My current laptop is an M1 MacBook Pro (so Apple Silicon, not Intel) which has plenty of memory available for graphics because Apple Silicon graphics hardware is much more flexible with memory than Intel integrated graphics. People masking is not a problem on that Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the Select People mask was introduced last year I found it very useful. After the recent update to LRC v12.1, I am no longer able to use it on my macbook pro. I get an error 'Your computer does not have enough graphics memory to support this feature'. So why did it work on v12.0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has determined that a minimum of 2 GB of graphics memory (VRAM) is needed to run People masking:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/select-people-mask-crash.html

LR 12.1 added an explicit check for that. The 2 GB is just a guideline -- it appears that People masking often works when there is less than 2 GB.

Click the Apple icon in the upper-left corner and do About This Mac.  If it says something like:

Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 1536 MB

then you don't have enough VRAM.  If you think you have enough VRAM, please post a screenshot of the About This Mac window.

Unfortunately, if you don't have enough VRAM, then you won't be able to use People masking on that computer -- the graphics hardware on Macbooks can't be upgraded (contrary to what the Help article says).  Your only options are to buy a new computer or roll back to LR 12.0.1 and forgo any future LR updates.

There is a trivial software change that would fix this: Adobe could add a new preference Use GPU For AI Masking, which would allow you to disable the use of the graphics processor for AI masking.  It would run slower (e.g. 5-8 seconds instead of 1-2 seconds), but better a live dog than a dead lion. But Adobe stubbornly refuses to do this.

Please add your vote to this feature request:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-ai-masking-should-obey-preferences-gt-perfo...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Até a versão 12.0.1, meu LrC reconhecia pessoas. assim como o ACR

Parou após atualização para a versão 12.1 informan que meu computador não tem memoria suficiente para utilizar este recurso.

MacBook Pro

1,4 GHz Intel Core i5 Quad-Core

Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 MB

8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As LrC 12.2 has been released beginning of this week, please try with this latest version first and post back.

8GB of RAM, a 1.4 GHz i5 CPU and no dedicated GPU is at the lowest end of HW for LrC to work well.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12.2 também não reconhece.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The process of selecting people has slightly changed. Please describe exactly what you do. Screen captures may be helpful as well.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Não fiz absolutamente nada. Na versão 12.0.1 ao abrir fotos com pessoas, e ativar mascaramento, versão 12.0.1 a.pngversão 12.0.1 b.pngversões 12.1, 12.2 e ACR.pngelas eram reconhecidas automaticamente, e até abria a caixa para permitir selecionar olhos, lábios, cabelo, etc.... após a atualização para o 12.1 e 12.2,  tanto no :rC quanto no ACR, tem a informação que meu computador não tem memoria suficiente para utilizar este recurso.

Reinstalei a versão 12.0.1 e voltou a funcionar normalmente

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: your "minimum specification" are completely arbitrary; in previous version people masking was working perfectly. Please roll back this useless block, there is no technical reason why this should not be supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've just upadate to the latest version and suddenly I can't activate masking subject anymore because, Lightroom says, my computer doesn't have enough memory. But I've just used it until the day before I upgraded Lightroom Classic, so how is that possible?!?

I'm using MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2017, 3,3 GHz Intel Core i5 dual-core, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB.

Thanks for solving this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With only 1.5GB of ram memory allocated to the GPU your system doens't meet the minumum requirements for 12.x.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ian, the fact is that in 12.0 version subject masking was working...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but things changed in 12.1. You can see the official response in answer given in this linked thread

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-people-masking-error-dialog-on-system...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually owne macBook Pro 2019 13inch i5. Before the latest Lightroom Classic update 12.1 I found the Lightroom Classic 12.0.1 perfect for my job and then got the latest update notification so as always waiting few days and then I update, suddenly when editing portrait photos the "Detecting People" saying that my laptop configuration does not support it!! Just a software update will kill my job and the greatest update in lightroom. Why?? 

Question to Adobe:

Why should I "think" of changing my laptop just because of a software update ? (Knowing my laptop specs works PERFECTLY with Lightroom Classic 12.0.1) 

Thank you. 

PS: I am editing videos and photos from an external m.2 1To that gives a huge push for the workflow. 

PS2: I love the fact that I can update and then come back to the past version and the project are perfectly opening and working 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message is telling you that your computer doesn't meet the minimum memory requirements for GPU support on LrC 12.x (see linked document). If you found 12.0.1 worked fine, then use the Creative Cloud App to downgrade.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines