• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Unable to locate Local Adjustment Tools (Brush, Gradient, Radial)?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a new laptop (ThinkPad) after my old one (Lenovo) crashed.  I just purchased the Lightroom Classic for my new one and cannot find the effects brushes for warm skin, teeth and eye whitening, iris enhancement, etc.  I was told these were standard in LRC but I cannot find them.  I think I remember buying them as a package from Cole's Classroom that contained these but I cannot find them on their website to download them again.  (I've asked on a group support page - as Cole's doesn't have email assistance available, according to their website - but can't figure it out.)  Any advice on how to get these effects brushes, would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thank you so much.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Hello Heidi,

Effects brushes are just presents for the local adjustment brush, and the default Lightroom Classic configuration does indeed include the presets you are seeking. To see them, you must (1) choose the local adjustment brush, then (2) click the dropdown for "Effect," and then (3) choose the preset you want:

2021-10-25_11-24-15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Hi,  

Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry about the trouble with Lightroom Classic. We are here to help!  

Local adjustment tools or target adjustment tools have been consolidated in to the masking tool.

Masking was introduced with the release of Adobe Lightroom Classic 2022 (11.0 & later), which consolidates and offers you a variety of local adjustment tools in an organized panel. Check this video to learn more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asDvkAEZmLY

Please check here for instructi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I did that. Again, perhaps I have not been clear - I have Creative Cloud and I have never had an issue with an update before, why would I think to check now? I didn't and apparently, I committed a cardinal sin with this "support" community but failing to read about an update for the 15th time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still miss the tools the way they used to be. With one single update and the rearrangement of tool pallettes, Lightroom really has gotten less useful for me and I find I am opening photos and editing then in Photoshop more than I ever have before. And, for me, it's not suddently having 100 images to edit, it's more like having 750 or a 1000.

Reading this thread I see a real failure to keep in mind that the customer is the user community, not the expert users on the Adobe payroll.  Seems that Adobe has failed to keep the average user in mind. You know, the guys and gals who are paying the bills.  Staying user-friendly would seem to be a good thing.

I hardly ever read update notes.  With so many different apps that I use and so many updates each week, I wouldn't get much actual work done if I stopped and watched all the viedoes and read all the notes each time an app updated. I've got seven apps just from Adobe that want to update right now. I could do work that brings in dollars or I could blow the rest of the evening watching videos and reading update advisories for seven different Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@michele stapleton wrote:

I hardly ever read update notes. 

Perhaps you should rethink that. Or just not update the product by turning off the auto update option in the Creative Cloud app.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The less I need to go into PS the better. LrC is not MS Paint, etc. It was meant for photographer post processing, it was meant to avoid using PS. It was not meant for snap shots.

The more I not need PS the better. The more I do not need third party external editing the better.

I have been using the new masking. Maybe one extra click. I love it. Much better. Much more capable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good for you, your post didn't add to the convo so thanks anyway. For the record I don't use snap shots, I have real cameras and take real photos but clearly you have to show off. Carry on then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some standard documentation that Adobe has provided.

First up, right at or near the top of Discussions, the Announcement that v11 has been released. You should always open that, Adobe always posts that:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-11-0-is-now-available...

Next up, and a link to this is provided in the above document, The What's new in this update document. You should always read those. Adobe always post them:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new.html

And in that document you can read all about the new masking, and the new metadata workflow. Many members problems, gripes, confusion, are clearly caused by not reading what has been provided. Basically Read the Manual a.k.a RTM, starting to be more like RTFM.

Also, tutorials or videos. below is a very good one on masking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Fld8eEHsE

After watching this, check out the latest massive updates here: PEOPLE MASKING & MORE! What's new in Lightroom October 2022 https://youtu.be/uLJBqS9g4O0 Welcome to the world-exclusive first LIGHTROOM MASKING TUTORIAL! A massive update to the Adobe Lightroom suite of apps (and Adobe Camera Raw) ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As with @MNiessenPhoto , I don't ever remember having a problem updating.

Your brush problem could be resolved by learning what is new in each update. I believe the first time you use a new version of LrC, a "What's New" screen appears, and its obvious you didn't look at it.

Your previous catalog (from Lightroom Classic 10) remains untouched and on your hard disk if you still want to use it.

Can anyone recommed a better software solution that Lightroom for windows. I don't think I can handle this cycle of updates that ruin my day each time they are forced on me.

I have 100% the opposite opinion, and I look forward to each update. Also, updating is not "forced" on you, as you can choose to not update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Radial filter and adjust brush not available in V11. PLEASE bring back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://jkost.com/blog/2021/10/lightroom-classic-v11-masking-premium-presets-metadata-updates-and-mo...

Brush is their, looks exactly like a brush.

And consider Radial gradient. I am sure Adobe changed to Radial Gradient as to give the old Radial filter more capability. Adjust Flow as desired to get back to just plain old Radiant. Just got done playing with the new tool, lots better than old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Radial Gradient is just a new name for old Radial Filter. The name changed, the functionality did not. Same for the Adjust Brush, now simply called Brush.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After watching this, check out the latest massive updates here: PEOPLE MASKING & MORE! What's new in Lightroom October 2022 https://youtu.be/uLJBqS9g4O0 Welcome to the world-exclusive first LIGHTROOM MASKING TUTORIAL! A massive update to the Adobe Lightroom suite of apps (and Adobe Camera Raw) ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of Lightroom Classic but I don't have the Adjustment Brush tool under Develop. I have crop, spot removal, red eye correction, and mask. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have lost these tools since updating Lightroom Classic. Where have they disappeared to and how do I get them back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I also found the answer after doing a slightly more detailed search. Appreciate you taking time out to help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too, I only have mask  spot remover  crop and red eye, I cannot find the adjust ment brush tool  anywhere  and it is not under histogram that i googled. 

this user interface is very difficult  to  find things  imo. I am not an advanced user.  so I would really appreciate if it was not so cryptic. Is there still an adjustment brush? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@irish.e please read the other replies in this thread, the answer is in several places in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a specific video related only to the adjustment brush and where to find it.  I dont see it anywhere  in these tutorials, or How can i revert back to the old version? I like the masking tools but really want to see the adjustment brush too handily with an icon up top . not all hidden under panels i cannot find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My goodness, if I just scroll up a bit from your first post, there's several videos linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the masking tools but really want to see the adjustment brush too handily with an icon up top . not all hidden under panels i cannot find.

Press K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines