• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom won't start when not connected to home network--AgKernel.dll error

LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last fall I spent several hours over 7 chats and calls with Adobe Customer Support trying to fix the following. I reformatted my HD (Surface Book 2) and did clean installs of Windows at least four times and the problem persisted.  I solicited assistance in Adobe Community forum and received no replies. I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15 with more than enough horsepower to run LR, and the issue persists.  Please help.

After the LR splash screen loads, LR stalls (stuck blue quarter-circle) when my laptop is not connected to my home network. I have my Local Storage preferences to store Smart Previews on the laptop's HD. So, the catalog info and images should be available for LR to access and properly start.  This issue has been present since early Sept with the LR v3.4 release.  It persists with the LR v4.0 release.  I've engaged in 7 chats and calls with Adobe's Technical Support people and none have been able to fix the problem.  With the onset of this issue, I've have found a consistent error message in Windows Event Viewer.  I won't yet go into all of the strategies I've tried to fix the problem--for now, I'm hoping that someone can speak to why this issue persists with this consistent error message:

Faulting application name: lightroomhelper.exe, version: 4.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f7def05
Faulting module name: AgKernel.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f7dee23
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000000401c
Faulting process id: 0x1d10
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6b39aeb2e2d83
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom CC\lightroomhelper.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom CC\AgKernel.dll
Report Id: 2a404970-98af-4384-88c7-3fcd5e302224
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
13 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current version is 4.1.  Do you still see this issue after updating?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk, Thanks for your interest.

Generally, I regularly install updates as they are made available by updaters.  And if operations start getting buggy, I will manually check for and install updates.  That being said:

LR v4.1 Build 20201120-1311-17d302b (up-to-date)

Windows 10 Pro v20H2 Build19042.804 Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0 (up to date)

NAS: Synology DS1513+ OS: DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 (up-to-date)

LR Local Storage Preferences set to store Smart Previews locally on C: (main laptop HD) and to store copies of originals on NAS.  For two years or so, when I was not connected to the NAS, I could work in my LR catalog because the Smart Previews were stored locally.  Thus, if I were on an airplane or connected to a network other than my home network, I could still use LR.  If I imported photos, they were stored in an Adobe AppData folder until I reconnected to the NAS.  LR would automatically move the photos from the local AppData folder to the NAS.

Since September, if I am not connected to the NAS via my local network, LR stalls (as described in the OP).  Local Storage Preferences still selected for local storage of Smart Previews on C:.  Original image storage automatically switches from NAS (when connected to NAS) to local Adobe AppData folder (when not connected to NAS) and vice versa.

The easiest way for me to replicate the issue at home is to either turn off the computer’s network adapters or turn off the NAS.  I just turned off the NAS, restarted LR, and the problem recurred.  Here is the error message generated by Windows Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: lightroomhelper.exe, version: 4.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fbbde80

Faulting module name: AgKernel.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fbbdd7f

Faulting process id: 0x5190

Faulting application start time: 0x01d70a0981040c49

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom CC\lightroomhelper.exe

Report Id: 07831037-75b4-4a3c-9639-39376f5c2051

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've logged a bug against this. My findings were slightly different than what you are reporting but we've go the team looking at it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk.  I can not tell you how much I appreciate that you looked into this and have reported it as a bug.  When the issue is repaired, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss with a supervisor the absurd responses I received from Adobe LR tech support staff--none of whom would even entertain the possibility of a bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk.  Just updated to LR 4.2. Windows, drivers, anti-virus, Synology DSM all up-to-date.  Turned off NAS, restarted LR. Problem persists. Event Viewer gives the same error message.  In summary, this six-month-old issue still persists after v4.2 "bug fixes"

From Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: lightroomhelper.exe, version: 4.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x603e414e
Faulting module name: AgKernel.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x603e4050
Faulting process id: 0x2ba0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d71b71b29a5221
Report Id: b3b97815-a4fe-4110-b00e-9b3a23b823f1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4.2 had no fixes related to this. It is still in progress. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Engineering request: The team would like to collect a diagnostic log immediately after experiencing the error.  Can you provide one?

For LrDesktop

Go to Preferences

Account Section

Hold down the [Opt/Alt] key to make [Diagnostic Log] button appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. How would you like me to send it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team is still working on your issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk. One remaining issue.  Prior to the appearance of the bug in September 2020, LR would save originals in the NAS (when connected) per my settings in Preferences.  When not connected to NAS, LR would automatically save originals in the default Adobe LR AppData file.  When reconnected to NAS, LR would automatically move the originals (stored on laptop's HD in that default Adobe file) to the appropriate file on the NAS.

With the LR 5.0 update installed (following install of Windows 11)—if NAS is not connected, LR shows the files on the Import Preview screen.  However, import of selected files causes a window to open stating "These files could not be downloaded" followed by the filenames.

So, to import photos when not connected to NAS:

1. I must go into Preferences and under "Store a copy of originals at specified location,” I must select the Reset button—which points LR to the default Adobe LR AppData folder.  After selecting Done, I’m prompted to restart LR
  2. When restarted, LR now thinks it should move all the originals to the local HD, so it starts “checking” 60K+ photos (even though the local HD does not have nearly enough capacity—which is why I store the originals on a NAS).  Even if I deselect “Store a copy of all originals at the specified location” (again, the default Adobe LR AppData folder on the local HD) and restart LR, LR wants to index (“check” and “move”) all 60K+ photos.
  3. Appearing in the “Checking Photos” window is a “stop until next launch” button, which stops the indexing.  Now, I can use LR while not connected to the NAS.
  4. Having taken these steps, I can now import files to LR.  Smart Previews are stored on the local HD and are fully functional.  Originals, if needed, can be accessed in the Adobe Cloud when connected to the Internet.
  5. And new images can be imported into LR with the original RAW files stored in the default Adobe LR AppData folder.
  6. If LR is restarted for any reason, LR once again begins indexing the 60K+ photos so I must select “stop until next launch”

When the local HD (my laptop) is reconnected to the NAS:

1. I launch LR.  I stop the indexing of the 60K+ photos.
  2. Going into Preferences>Local Storage>”Store a copy of originals at the specified location”, I browse for and select the NAS
  3. When LR restarts, LR indexes only those files that were imported since LR was last connected to the NAS. LR moves the originals from the default Adobe LR AppData files on the local HD (freeing up space on my laptop’s HD) to the NAS.

To summarize: prior to the introduction of the bug in September 2020, LR stored originals on the NAS because those were my Local Storage settings; when not connected to the NAS, LR would automatically store imported files (Smart Previews and originals) in the appropriate default Adobe LR AppData folders; when reconnected to the NAS, LR would automatically move recently imported originals to the appropriate folders (per my previously selected Local Storage Preferences) on the NAS.

I’m relieved that I can once again use LR when my laptop is not connected to the NAS.  I’d be satisfied if LR once again could automatically determine where to store originals contingent on whether my laptop is connected to a NAS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The engineers would like to see a fresh diagnostic log from you. 

For LrDesktop

Go to Preferences

Account Section

Hold down the [Opt/Alt] key to make [Diagnostic Log] button appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Diagnostic Log sent to your email

Votes

Translate